cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saw a unicorn F-150 on the road yesterday!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, we saw it. A new F-150, regular cab, short bed, "base" truck --- actually going down the road! Haven't seen one in a long, long time.

Now, bear in mind this base truck still carries a $30,000+ price tag, which is absurd in and of itself, but it restored my faith that not everybody that needs a truck goes crazy seeing how close to a $100,000 behemoth they can create.

I must admit that I was a little disappointed to see it in white, with all the other color choices that are available to make it look less like a commercial vehicle, but all in all was still a bit surprised to see it at all.

Just thought I'd share :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Rona inflation aside, these types of three are always hilarious to hear all the โ€œback in my dayโ€ comments.
Vehicles are even funnier. Canโ€™t even compare the best swill that came out of Detroit in the 70s to even the cheapest โ€œcomparableโ€ vehicle in 2021.
And some things cost more, comparatively, and some things cost much less.
And some werenโ€™t even around back then to compare.
Would you say a IPhone 10 is terribly overpriced compared to a 1976 telephone from Kmart? I mean the only thing in common between them is you could talk to people on both of them.

Sure itโ€™s fun to complain about, but if you actually believe youโ€™re getting overcharged now, in general just asked on the inflation rate, then youโ€™re pretty clueless.

I had good luck with that Swill that came out of Detroit in the 70's because it was easy to fix and made in America. I'm mechanically inclined and can fix things like that myslef. New vehicles are great until they break and it cost a arm and a leg to fix them because you can't do it yourself anymore. And, I have had a few friends where once some computer part of the car broke nobody could figure out how to fix it and they had to give up and junk out a perfectly good car because of a broken computer part. ( Actually, my 2011 F-150 Pings when towing under load and no one can figure out why)

As for the I-phone thing. I got by without one up until now and I have no reason to buy one now. I do have a cell phone now but, I use it just for making calls (And I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the text generation) . There are tons of little button things on my cell phone that you can push and I don't know what they do nor do I care.

So, your point is, that even since youโ€™re a handy, mechanically inclined individual, that since you decided to turn your brain off to new things at the turn of the century, that the old stuff must be better because, well, you don't want to learn anything new for the last 20 years?
Newer cars generally ainโ€™t tough to fix. Sure some things are, but so are drum brakes and getting the starter motor off of a small block Mopar with headers and setting point gap and dwell and letโ€™s not forget about those 203 transfer cases.
As much as I like the old iron, go take a brand factory new 3/4 ton 70 something truck of your choice, put it side by side with a new one of your choice. Hook a trailer, start driving and tell me which one needs a new drivetrain first.
But I already know the answer to that.

PS , 2 of my cars are 1974 and 1986 respectively. But Iโ€™m not predjudiced. The others are 2020, 2016, 2016 and 2006. And I can work on all of them.

PPS, try running some of that good Minnesoooota corn whisky gas or premium for the pinging.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
My previous truck was a base model F150 regular cab. Nothing fancy about it at all. Got good mileage and towed my camper just fine. I just missed having the 4X4, so I traded it in.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Rona inflation aside, these types of three are always hilarious to hear all the โ€œback in my dayโ€ comments.
Vehicles are even funnier. Canโ€™t even compare the best swill that came out of Detroit in the 70s to even the cheapest โ€œcomparableโ€ vehicle in 2021.
Would you say a IPhone 10 is terribly overpriced compared to a 1976 telephone from Kmart? I mean the only thing in common between them is you could talk to people on both of them.

Sure itโ€™s fun to complain about, but if you actually believe youโ€™re getting overcharged now, in general just asked on the inflation rate, then youโ€™re pretty clueless.

I had good luck with that Swill that came out of Detroit in the 70's because it was easy to fix and made in America. I'm mechanically inclined and can fix things like that myslef. New vehicles are great until they break and it cost a arm and a leg to fix them because you can't do it yourself anymore. And, I have had a few friends where once some computer part of the car broke nobody could figure out how to fix it and they had to give up and junk out a perfectly good car because of a broken computer part. ( Actually, my 2011 F-150 Pings when towing under load and no one can figure out why)

As for the I-phone thing. I got by without one up until now and I have no reason to buy one now. I do have a cell phone now but, I use it just for making calls (And I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the text generation) . There are tons of little button things on my cell phone that you can push and I don't know what they do nor do I care.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We see std cab 1/2 ton...3/4 and one ton srw/drws trucks daily here in farm and ranch country. Most are 4wd beds off with a feeder bed.
And std cabs are popular with college kids with their college logo in the back window or bumpers.

And we see lots of std cab usually Ford ranger size parts delivery trucks running around town or out on the open road moving parts from the big city to small local towns.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
You must remember a dollar is not worth much anymore.I brought my first F150 in 76 300 6 banger 3 speed on the column with AM radio for $3,300 plus tax.

That $3,300 from 1976 is only worth $15,488 today. Cars are ridiculously expensive now.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
begum I also towed a 18ft camper trailer behind a new 68 Corvette for 2 years. Started out in Dallas and worked a year in DC then back to Oklahoma City then back to Baltimore. Finally sold it in VA, car and trailer.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
You must remember a dollar is not worth much anymore.I brought my first F150 in 76 300 6 banger 3 speed on the column with AM radio for $3,300 plus tax.

LOL. End of Feb '05 I bought a regular cab short bed V6 Dodge. End of Aug, bought wife a new Neon. The 2 of them together was under $25,000.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
A local dealer had a red Chevy 1500 regular cab short bed on the lot. It was gone the next day. I see it around town often. A young girl is driving it.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
So much of today's pricing has to do with demand.

In the past 10 years, new passenger cars have gone up in price less than 5%, but new trucks have gone up approximately 40%.

The components required to build a truck cost no more than the components required to build a car, so the only reason for the absurd increase is that American's are willing to pay it. Much like shoddy quality RV's -- they'll keep making them that way as long as people keep buying them.

We'll all get smart one of these days ๐Ÿ˜‰
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Now, bear in mind this base truck still carries a $30,000+ price tag, which is absurd in and of itself, but it restored my faith that not everybody that needs a truck goes crazy seeing how close to a $100,000 behemoth they can create.

Just thought I'd share :C

I have an F-150 XL on order 3.5L HD Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew with the 3.73, 13,800 max towing, max Payload 2640, 19,500 GCWR. 51K with just a few upgrades. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:

I think I bought yours used in 83 for $1300 lol. I sold it in 93 for $400 with 113K miles.. probably still running ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about 2022 Vette but the 1969 could tow. I towed a Scotty camper with one in 1969.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Being less than 2 hrs from Bowling Green my, where the Vett factory is. Iโ€™ve been seeing new ones a lot lately.