cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing generator and propane tank on rear rack of fiver?

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a rear rack on my fiver and my power inlet is there, too. Is there any problem with installing the propane generator and propane tanks there?
7 REPLIES 7

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t see an issue with fabricating a rack......assuming that you have sufficient frame integrity and the weight will not adversely effect your pin/tongue weight.

All of that said......if I have a choice, I would never go propane. Been there - done that ! As compared to gasoline .....propane is very inefficient! You will use much more propane to accomplish the same job. PLUS - gasoline is quite accessible and is a quick/easy fill.....propane - not so much! JMO! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Propane on the rear rack may not be DOT legal!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider extra lights for the rack.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
As long as it's relatively light generator and you beef up the rack (welding directly to the frame), should be fine.

Yes it will impact the pin weight but 5ers start with a much higher percentage on the pin compared to bumper pull and with the wheels further back, each pound in the rear takes less weight off the pin.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Duke-44 wrote:
I already have a rear rack on my fiver and my power inlet is there, too. Is there any problem with installing the propane generator and propane tanks there?

If you =do= do this, install in a "gen box" to cover everything up and give it at least a little disguise. One YT couple had a Champion 3k stolen right off their cargo rack in downtown Denver rush hour traffic. Got in a hurry and forgot to put the cable lock on it; scumbags just cut the ratchet straps.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a good, experienced welder to build that rack.

It will lighten the pin weight.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Only if someone rearends you.

I csrry my 2 3000 generators
2 5gal gas cans and 2 5 gal diesel cans.

I figure I'm far enough a hhead of the boom.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu