cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave door won't close/latch

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
My Alpenlite came with a Sharp Carousel Over the Rage Microwave model R-1480. The latch stopped working and the door is hanging open so I figure it's time to just replace the thing since it no longer rotates either. I don't even know how to get it off the wall, much less what to replace it with. I'm looking to buy a house in the next year or so, so I'm not terribly picky and the oven works great now that I have a baking stone in it so I don't see any need to install a convection oven.

Has anyone found a good replacement for this microwave? I'd like to stick with black since the range is black. That's pretty much all I care about at this point. Is the goal to just find a microwave with the same dimensions that can be wall-mounted?

Any insight would be appreciated....Many thanks...

Update: Found a youtube video. The little loop that the spring hooks into breaks on a lot of microwaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFP8JrgUlc

Mine didn't have a loop. Crazy setup...It had some kind of plastic ledge that it hooked onto somehow. So that broke off causing the door not to latch. I ended up putting a bead of hot glue on the back wall of the door and hooking the spring into that. Don't know how long it will last. If it comes loose I'll glue a long piece of wood onto the back wall and hook it into that. Saves me having to take the whole thing down to replace it...Door closed and it fired right back up.

Annnnnd, it just gave way. Any ideas how I can secure something to plastic (like a 2"x1/4"x1/8" piece of wood/pastic/metal) with a bond that is strong enough to hold, like...forever?...Silicone?
1 REPLY 1

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV microwaves and HOME microwaves are identical.

The "Dometic" they put in my RV was really an LG

I recommend against LG. other than that they are mostly all good.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times