cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Labels for wire bundle that won't fall off

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to label some split-wire loom cables.
Some of the cable is in the engine compartment and some cable is beneath the (jeep) front bumper area - somewhat exposed to weather.

At present, I've wrapped the split-loom with black electrical tape.
Then, using a household file label printer, applied the label over the black electrical tape, then wrapped that in clear strapping tape.
It probably won't last more than a few years.
I need something more permanent - any ideas?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jrloucks wrote:
What about covering/protecting the label with clear heat shrink? (This, of course, assumes you can slide the heat shrink over the cable.)

Similar to what I was suggesting with Clear vinyl film. Except the film will stick to the label and never get dirt in between the two. And doesn't have to be slid over the end of the wires.
Good thought though, i didn't know there was clear shrink tube.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jrloucks
Explorer
Explorer
What about covering/protecting the label with clear heat shrink? (This, of course, assumes you can slide the heat shrink over the cable.)

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't they color coded? write it down? make schematic wiring diagram.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
White Scotch 35 tape and permanent sharpie. No better tape that I'm aware of especially the black Super 88.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Flag cable ties used with a Sharpie

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
BP22 by BRADY
Using the NYLON marker cartridge.
Beware of BRADY because the quiescent current draw will thoroughly drain 8 batteries in 2 weeks. I recommend a wall wort and forget the batteries. The memory is not volatile.

GOOGLE for the protocol to minimize unused excess label length. These cartridges are anything but cheap.

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Brady makes an extensive line of industrial wire labels for just about any imaginable environment. If the wire will survive it, chances are the labels will too.

Brother also makes some very good labelers & labels, but Brady has them beat for hard usage labels.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these might work decently well.

The Dymo Rhino system looks really nice, but is not at all inexpensive for only a single project or two. Maybe you could find someone who has one or rent one somewhere. It's basically a handheld label maker that spits out heat-shrink tubing with the labels, and you can then shrink the tube and label around the wire. Other companies make similar tools, too (e.g. Brother).

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
how about something like this. use a permanent marker on the plastic tag, wrap that in a a couple of layers of clear packing tape and then attach to the loom with a length of insulated wire.

https://www.nelcoproducts.com/store/cable-tie-identification-tags.html
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thatโ€™s about as good an idea as I could come up with.
One better may be to get some clear bra type film. Stick the labels to that and then wrap around loom. That will last virtually indefinitely.

I did this on all the โ€œoriginalโ€ under hood labels on the truck weโ€™re restoring. Labels were good but starting to weather.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Brother P-Touch Cube Smartphone Label Make. It uses a smartphone app to create labels that are water proof.
and zip ties that have a place for labels. Monoprice Marker Cable Tie 4 inch
Both available on Amazon.