cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in your tool kit? What about other must-haves?

ApexAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Our new toyhauler is being delivered tomorrow!

I've sorted out capacity, weight, hitches and all that, but what about things that go on the inside of the RV?

So far we have purchased:

Sewage hose kit
Kitchen stuff
Outdoor griddle
Bedding stuff
Cleaning stuff
A basic tool kit, such as hammer, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, a socket set, leveling bubble, tape measurer, etc.

Air compressor is still on our list of things to buy
Fix-a-flat and tire change kit - I think it comes with a tool to lower/release the spare tire, but I am not sure if it will fit the actual wheel lugs. Also, do we need some sort of jack in the event we need to change a tire, or will the one that came with my truck work?

Are there any other tools or essential items we need to get that we aren't thinking of? I'm assuming so. Suggestions?
24 REPLIES 24

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
My Titanium (a Canadian Manufacturer) does NOT use Torx. The fastener of choice id "Roberts" #1 and #2. A square recess in the head.

Roberts drivers and power bits in both sizes are available at Northern Tool.

A

Square bits, aka Robertson, are easily found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. #2 screwdrivers are found in electrical because they are a common electrical tool. Both bit sizes are found in tools as power bits and in the 52 different bit assortment kits, which go real well with a magnetic tip screwdriver that accepts 1/4 hex bits.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
garmp wrote:
A handle of Jack Daniels. In case of snake bite.

Fixed it for ya!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
A pint of Jack Daniels. In case of snake bite.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
A high-limit credit card.

I'm not kidding. There will be some problems that you end up just having to buy your way out of.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1--a good 36" breaker bar and sockets to remove the lug nuts. My truck lugs are torqued to 150 lb/ft nad my TT is 100 lb/ft. It takes a proper tool to remove those lug nuts, not a short lug wrench that comes with many vehicles.

#2 Good deep well sockets. My truck lugs are rather tall and regular sockets are not deep enough. The sockets also have to be rather thin walled because of the shape of the rims. Check them out before you need them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ApexAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great info. Thanks everyone!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep a cheap moving blanket and a large tarp. The former is great if you need to go under the truck or camper for any reason. The latter, with some bungee cords, can stop a leak temporarily during a rain - then once the rain stops, you can do a quick repair.

I had my clipper established with a lot of tools, etc. When I got it back after being stolen, everything was gone. So I had to restock it. I got an inexpensive standard tool kit with screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I added a kit with various screws, bolts, and nuts. Multimeter. Fuses.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
LED Headlamp. The kind that has elastic to fit on your head. Preferably with a tiltable lamp and one that can also provide a night vision red illumination. Mine sits on top of my tool bag when we travel.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Explorer II
Explorer II
Disposable plastic gloves and a bar of soap in the wet bay for dump duty.

I agree with don't get too carried away with tools. A reliable volt meter and a #2 square driver is a must have.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Gorilla tape to generic duck tape; it seems to last better and peel off more easily when no longer needed (and with less residue) than standard duck tape.

Definitely get a #2 square (Robertson) screwdriver. You probably will not be able to remove or replace most anything without one.

A few 12V fuses in various sizes are a good idea.

If you like to burn wood in campfires, a small Fiskars splitting axe is a mighty nice tool to have. It splits wood far more effectively than a standard hatchet, while not taking up too much space or weighing as much as a full-sized splitting maul.

A level can be handy, too; I think you can find perfectly adequate ones (for RV usage) at dollar stores from time to time.

A few collapsible battery-powered LED lanterns can be handy. I like to set mine out on key spots if I arrive at a camp site after dark so as to give myself some visible references for positioning the RV. I might put one on the corner of the picnic table, or the power post, or that big rock they place so conveniently close to the entrance to the site, or next to the ditch I need to avoid. It saves me a lot of getting in and out and general aggravation.

Despite this arguably lengthy list, I wouldn't go to far overboard with tools to begin with; instead, I'd just buy what I need when I need it while traveling. It's rare to go too far away from civilization (or have something so completely break) that you can't get most basic tools when you find you need them, or at least soon enough afterwards to not be a huge problem.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Duct tape and bungee straps.

X2 on the above
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Torx bit screwdrivers in addition to slotted and Phillips. Unless the RV industry has changed Torx screws are their favorite fastener after staples.

I'd look things over carefully, you might have some fasteners that use the Square Bits, the Robertson type.

Sorry, that's what I meant was the square bits.i have a set of Torx bits that are quarter inch drive for ratchet or a screwdriver handle and there is indeed 2 square head bits in the set. Bought them at Lowe's years ago.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape and bungee straps.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You forgot, drinking water hose, maybe a flushing water hose, wye adapter to hook up both at once, so you can hose off the toys. An electrical extension, and electrical adapter so you can use 20/30 / or 50 amp in an emergency. A water pressure regulater, in line water filter if you dont have one.
For the compresser, i just pucked up a 3 gallon pankake one that will run off the outlet in my truck bed. If you have an outlet in the TV, you can get a reguler small compresser if it dosen't use a lot of voltage.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.