152 REPLIES 152

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Almot. Pm is fine

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moisheh - yes, Skymed is the one I found that flies to "home hospital". Costs $400-600 a year depending on how long you live abroad. And - thanks to Silversand - I looked into their Covid regulations - they won't take you if you're tested positive.

You don't need a hospital if you're tested positive with no symptoms. In obscure Baja I will likely have symptoms first and then travel hundreds of miles to confirm it with the test but this is another question. What I would LOVE to do in this case - and you'd better consider it too - is the Regen-Cov shot to prevent hospitalization. In Canada they give it to "high risk groups" with mild to moderate symptoms, high risk being defined as age 50 and older regardless of health condition, or age 18 and older with heart problems, diabetes, obesity and other things.

US are more generous and give Regen-Cov to high-risk groups who have no symptoms but are either tested positive or tested negative but were exposed to confirmed infected person. Travel insurance probably won't cover me for this shot. The drug itself costs $2,000, plus the cost of administering it. I wouldn't mind paying for it in Mexico but nobody could tell me if it even exists there.

I'll pm you with more questions if you don't mind.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like the US are moving to where Canada has been for several weeks now, i.e. open border, forget the "essential" like truck drivers etc, all travellers need to be vaccinated.

What happened to the epidemic, I wonder :). Last week the "Delta curve was not where we want it", they said, and now - voila, it's there. The "man" has been saying all along to follow the science. Had they followed it, Canadians should've been allowed several weeks ago and Mexicans wouldn't be allowed until February - this is where their projected vaccination rate is supposed to reach 70%. We'll probably never know what has been delaying the border opening for the last few months and why it is now opening on both North and South.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard on morning News the Mexico border will also be opened so should be no problem to return. All will have to be Vacced in Jan '22, even essential workers. Will be interesting as we have had alot of Mexican essential workers coming across the border for the last couple of years. Never knew if they were vacced.

rocmoc n Th SouthWest
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
AMLO announced today in the matutina press that the U.S. Mexico border should be open by the first of November, they are going to try to vaccinate as many as they can along the border so that they can open to turistas.

navegator

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Rocmoc wrote:
WOW, what a turn around.

Yeah. So many competing interests across the hundreds of thousands of media entities that exist today....its hard the synthesize the messages. One almost needs to use a syntax analyzer to extract something close to useful ๐Ÿ˜„
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Silversand - Medical Air Services Inc don't sell evac insurance, they only arrange logistics with carriers. Unless you pay out of pocket, it's up to the insurance plan who they will hire for evac.

....for sure. There are numerous air medical services of several genres with contracts with Canadian medical travel insurance cos. Best to absolutely verify if your prospective medical insurance co's evac outfit allows for communicable disease transport, and where you would be delivered :B

I would advocate for anyone seeking such a service to actually overthink the research; after all, its potentially your life at stake.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, what a turn around. Also heard on this morning NEWS that the border will open to FULLY Vacced persons. But I have only heard and read Early Nov, no date.

rocmoc n Th SouthWest
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Ok folks. The US border will open to Canadian and Mexican casual visitors 1st week of Nov. No Covid test required whatsoever. Fully vaccinated only? Yes. Done deal.

Spot check only for your papers showing vaccines.

Btw, the land borders WERE closed because of symmetry.
Silver

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Almot. Skymed will take you to your home city. There is at least one other that does the same. Cima does not charge US prices. I have had 4 procedures at Cima. Some were 40% of US prices and others were about 50 %. Still expensive but worth every penny. If you have Lewis and Lewis auto insurance they will fly you to BC. If you test positive with no symptoms no hospital is needed.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Silversand - Medical Air Services Inc don't sell evac insurance, they only arrange logistics with carriers. Unless you pay out of pocket, it's up to the insurance plan who they will hire for evac.

I've looked into evac plans both as a part of insurance and standalone evac's from $50/year to $400/year, they mostly vary in where they take you to. Vast majority - especially those included in medical insurance - will take you to the "nearest suitable hospital" which would be $$$ US or CIMA (the latter is not for "poor Mexico", they charge almost like a US hospital). $400/year standalone evac will take you to the city specified in a contract, but this is only evac, treatment not included.

I wonder whether any private hospital in Baja or Baja Sur even has Regen-Cov on hand.

Another thing with evac plan - you can't ask to be flown to the US where they will give you Regen-Cov infusion when you have no symptoms but tested positive, or to Canada where they give Regen-Cov when you are tested positive and have at least mild symptoms (Canadian system is greedier). Nope. You must be hospitalized to be eligible for evac - can be a cot in a shack, anything, as long as there is a Doc to certify your condition. In plans where evac is a part of medical insurance, it is the same - you must be in danger to lose your life or an organ if not treated within 24 hours (if memory doesn't fail me).

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I looked but could not find that article. Nothing that Mayokas says surprises me.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc

Was that really in the article? I haven't read it. If it was ....and I have no reason to disbelieve you... wow,
but that last line.....

Mayo
rkas ..... U.S.-Mexico border, where the federal government currently enforces strict asylum and entry restrictions amid record-high migration levels.