cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maiden Voyage Blues

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
We left Kissimmee, FL Saturday morning taking our brand new 2022 Tiffin Allegro Open Road on its maiden voyage. We hooked up our dolly with our also new 2021 Chevy Colorado and off we went.

It wasn’t long heading down the FL Turnpike towards our destination of Marathon Key when we hit several swarms of love bugs that completely obliterated our vision. It was an omen. We pulled off in Ft. Pierce to clean the windshield and top off fuel. While cleaning the windshield the drivers side wiper blade fell off. I thought I had it back on but as soon as I tried the wipers it fell off again. Aargh! I snapped it back on the best I could thinking when we get to our destination I’ll put it on right.

But, oh no, the RV gods saw to it that 20 miles down the road it would rain……HARD! So, we took the next exit and pulled in to a CVS parking lot and I fixed the wiper blade in the rain. The wipers now working properly we got back on the turnpike and headed south. Lo and behold, the RV gods were not done. After 5 more miles the drivers side wiper decided it was on strike. It wiped completely left, off the windshield and wedged itself in my side view mirror. I quickly turned the wipers off and carefully drove to the next exit.

We pulled in to a 7-11 and, thinking the wiper arm slipped on the shaft, I tried to loosen it and reset it. After 3 failed attempts I said screw it, we’re driving the rest of the way with no wipers.

We arrived at Jolly Roger RV Park just after 7 PM, got set up and was looking forward to a nice hot shower. I had turned the Truma Aqua Hot on before leaving so I figured I would be all set. HA!!! No hot water!!!! I looked and the light on the control was blinking not solid like it should. Multiple attempts to turn it off both outside and inside was to no avail. I could hear the igniter clicking but it wouldn’t light. Tank is full and valve is open.

After two days of no hot water I finally got Truma on the line as well as Tiffin and La Mesa service. Long story long, we will be leaving here early and going back to Kissimmee on Wednesday so the LaMesa mobile service can come help us. No qualified mobile tech here in the Keys.

Today is my wife’s birthday. She gets to celebrate with another cold shower. Sigh…
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
15 REPLIES 15

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of the propane valve on a class A having the same issues when opening quickly as a trailer using OPD's on portable bottles.

I think DOT cylinders used on trailers are completely different from ASME tanks used on motorhomes. I doubt the speed you opened the valves caused any problem at all. But I could be mistaken.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
The regulator needs to be replaced. Coming out on Monday. Perhaps that was the issue when I opened the valve I didn’t do it slowly. Had no idea.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
just thought i would mention for future, open your propane valve slowly or your regulator will snap shut and no flow! don't know how new class a is but my pull behind did that. im sure you got it resolved by now.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we are in pretty good spirits. As they say, a bad day camping is better than a good day at work. Hopefully they can fix everything without issue and all will be well.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As you have found, new doesn't mean trouble free. On the positive side, these sound mostly like nuisance issues that can easily be fixed.

Give it some time and it likely will become a funny story.

The difference between adventure and ordeal is attitude.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should have been told this by now. Close all of your gas bottles and then open the valve slowly. If you open them too quickly the safety system senses a leak and shuts the gas down.
Also, spend a few buck for some rain-x washer fluid. Drain all of the old fluid out of the system and use the Rain-x often for the first trip. Then when your wipers fail, you will still be able to see.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
A hot shower should always be part of the walk through.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Alex and Tee wrote:
Seems like we have some type of gas issue as the stove won’t light either. Both things worked at orientation. The only thing that changed was I shut the valve off whole in storage and opened it back up day of departure.

Have you tried turning the burners on, and letting them flow for say 10 seconds, and then tried to light them? If the propane has not been used for a while you have to clear the lines to get the gas up. Possible could also explain your lack of hot water.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I think I want to buy a brand new one. No one I know has been trouble free with a new one. Our dynasty gave us some problems but I expect that on a used one. Not a new one! I’d be very frustrated.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like we have some type of gas issue as the stove won’t light either. Both things worked at orientation. The only thing that changed was I shut the valve off whole in storage and opened it back up day of departure.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
It is nip and tuck which is worse, a new coach or an old one.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, bumpy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Happy birthday to your wife! Offer her a big hug to warm her up.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes your the windshield.....sometimes the bug. Our first outing in the Holiday Rambler never happened. We had to be towed due to a blown axle seal, that was however the only time she left us stranded. That was 14 years and 3 RV's ago.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP