cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smog Test Mystery

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been taking our 2004 Tioga 26Q to the same smog test only shop for a number of years. Each time the Asian technician tells me that it did not pass the test, but that he would get it to pass, (and he does it). I am the original owner and the engine/smog equipment has not been modified. I recently had the engine properly tuned up by a respected garage. I ask him what causes the test failure. He mumbles in a thick accent that the engine might not have been warmed up enough on the way to the shop, or that the catalytic converter may not be working properly.( no specifics) BTW, the rig has only some 11 thousand original miles

I wonder if others have had similar experiences with smog testing on the same E-450 engine.
23 REPLIES 23

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
Ichabod, I wonder if the rules have changed for the Ford E-450 too?

It is for everything also as said before No tailpipe sniffer.

I also had my other car tested there the next day samething.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last test on my F150 only checked the computer and that there was no modification to smog equipment. No tailpipe sniffer.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Ichabod, I wonder if the rules have changed for the Ford E-450 too?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
He told you what it was.......Next time, drive it around to warm it up.

I have a 2006 Tioga like the OP

Here is a news flash for you all. I just went to my smog guy that I have used for over 20 years.

Seems that the rules have changed some. He told me to bring it right in without driving it around first. I have always followed his advice before to drive it around,now he said just to bring it in.It seems that the computer has all the info needed and it does not have to be reset with a long drive.

Wish I knew that before my 20 min drive to warm it up and use all that High Priced Fuel..:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We live in flat Orange County area near Disneyland. Rig has sat mostly undriven after major tune up since the start of Covid pandemic. Hopefully we can get it out on the freeway system and go camping at Cachuma Lake, near Santa Barbara, including some grade climbing and sustained 65mph cruising to exercise the old girl.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
I have been taking our 2004 Tioga 26Q to the same smog test only shop for a number of years. Each time the Asian technician tells me that it did not pass the test, but that he would get it to pass, (and he does it). I am the original owner and the engine/smog equipment has not been modified. I recently had the engine properly tuned up by a respected garage. I ask him what causes the test failure. He mumbles in a thick accent that the engine might not have been warmed up enough on the way to the shop, or that the catalytic converter may not be working properly.( no specifics) BTW, the rig has only some 11 thousand original miles

I wonder if others have had similar experiences with smog testing on the same E-450 engine.

IMO, it's quite possible that your smog tech is telling you the truth and doing you a favor. (IMO, doing nothing illegal) With such low miles in a stock system, it's unlikely that anything is significantly worn out or malfunctioning. Is your "check engine" light on? If so, . . . . . automatic fail at a "test only" station in California.

Catalytic converters/oxygen sensors MUST be warmed up regularly or they can be poisoned with unburned hydrocarbons, sulfur, and oxides of nitrogen and lose efficiency. (enough to make the vehicle fail) The best way, IMO, to purge the converter is to use premium or mid grade fuel, then do a long, sustained, high RPM pull up a steep grade just prior to the smog test. 10 miles or so if you can find the right location. Bring it in hot, and test it hot. IMO, that's your best bet to pass with flying colors.

Chum lee

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
CARB certified rigs can be susceptible to a P1000 code…. Which is “not ready for test”. It’s not just warmup that’s required, but meeting all drive cycle parameters. Things like a full warmup cycle, an evap purge cycle, WOT for a minimum amount of seconds. Minimum miles since last reset including low voltage.

Chances are the shop worker understands the parameters required to clear the P1000 code. On the V10, driving it hard for just a mile or two can clear it, assuming is has existing miles since the reset.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
one thing that does foul the smog test is the computer loosing the data due to the battery running low by the dashboard clock and computer it self loosing power, it takes about a half an hour of driving for the computer to re-acquire the parameters back for the test unit to prosses the data correct.

I have to drive my "C" for half an hour and then go get is smoged or else it fails, the cat has to be really hot and at the correct temperature, another wise thing to do to older units is to do an oil change with filter and also change the air filter.

I have a battery disconnect switch for the engine battery so I know that the computer losses all the data, so drive around a bit then go get the smog check done.

navegator

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
" Note: you might actually spend the extra money and have it tested by another shop before you need the smog cert -"

Why? Test only shops are just that. The man is a scammer and should be reported. Just like the jiffy lube type shops, they always say you need a new air cleaner at 3x the cost of an auto parts store then you need a brake flush, engine flush, trans flush which are all unnecessary and damaging to the transmission.
My friend Jerry had a trans shop for 35years. His volume increased once trans flushes became popular. Drop the pan and filter and refill. Or get that "piece of mind" thing and end up having it rebuilt, you choose. And don't forget that extended warranty....:R

First, we don't even know if he was charging for the fix. It may have been something as simple as letting the engine warm up first. Those don't equate to a scammer, just a smart tech who is saving the OP time and money.

Second, my suggestion of having the vehicle tested elsewhere before the test is required is in the case the vehicle is failing the test and the tech was pulling some sort of fraud with the DMV. I'd hate to take it to another shop at registration time and find out it needed a lot of work to pass legally. Doing it early would give me time to budget out any repairs.

The OP wrote...." to the same smog test only shop "'' so, the shop is not permitted, by California law, to do ANY repairs to a vehicle being smogged.
IF your vehicle fails, it goes to another shop then returns for a free re-test. Doubtful that year after it always needs a little bit of $$$ something.

Again, we don't know what it needed. If it just needed to warm up more each time, then the shop did nothing wrong. And we don't know if the shop charged the OP to "get it to pass".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
" Note: you might actually spend the extra money and have it tested by another shop before you need the smog cert -"

Why? Test only shops are just that. The man is a scammer and should be reported. Just like the jiffy lube type shops, they always say you need a new air cleaner at 3x the cost of an auto parts store then you need a brake flush, engine flush, trans flush which are all unnecessary and damaging to the transmission.
My friend Jerry had a trans shop for 35years. His volume increased once trans flushes became popular. Drop the pan and filter and refill. Or get that "piece of mind" thing and end up having it rebuilt, you choose. And don't forget that extended warranty....:R

First, we don't even know if he was charging for the fix. It may have been something as simple as letting the engine warm up first. Those don't equate to a scammer, just a smart tech who is saving the OP time and money.

Second, my suggestion of having the vehicle tested elsewhere before the test is required is in the case the vehicle is failing the test and the tech was pulling some sort of fraud with the DMV. I'd hate to take it to another shop at registration time and find out it needed a lot of work to pass legally. Doing it early would give me time to budget out any repairs.

The OP wrote...." to the same smog test only shop "'' so, the shop is not permitted, by California law, to do ANY repairs to a vehicle being smogged.
IF your vehicle fails, it goes to another shop then returns for a free re-test. Doubtful that year after it always needs a little bit of $$$ something.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just try a different shop owned by different chain or owners for comparsion purpose. Just like a second medical opinion before major

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
It may be just that the engine really was not hot enough for proper catalytic action. I have never heard before that an E-450 rig needed a 1/2 hour run at highway speeds to pass the smog test. I have idled the engine in my driveway for some 15 minutes then drove city streets, stop and go for about 5 miles to the test place.

I mentioned that the tech is Asian because with his thick accent and vague explanation, I could not find out what, if anything, specifically is causing the "no pass" result and what he does to get it to pass. I will try another test place next time. I will 84 by then.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like it always passes. Maybe the dude tells everyone that and collects some gratuities from generous owners who think he saved them something by getting it to pass. If you walk out with a pass and don’t pay extra, who cares what he says.
(Not to you OP, sounds like you’re just trying to figure out the “why”)
I’d presume the vehicle is good and heat soaked before testing?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend Mesa Smog in Costa Mesa
609 W 19th St, Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Or DNV Smog in Ontario
2315 S Euclid Ave, Ontario, CA 91762
https://dnv-smog-test-only-ii.business.site/

Both are honest and go by the book.