cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trickle charger suggestion

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready for the upcoming storage season in a couple of months, I need info on trickle chargers.
I'm storing my rig in a new facility this upcoming season, it's climate controlled that has 110v electric outlets. My rig has (2) 12v chassis batteries, and (8) 6v house batteries.
I've never used trickle chargers before, what do I need to do to keep the batteries charged and healthy?
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox
7 REPLIES 7

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. The new facility I'm going to use is a 7 day/16 hour per day unlimited access, climate controlled, security coded warehouse. After weighing all or your responses, I've decided to plug the rig into their 110V outlet, same as I do at home between trips, then check the monitor after a couple of weeks to get readings. At the same time I will check water levels in the batteries.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
6v batts don't really like being floated, so above is good advice. If you do float them, check their water at least once a month, as they tend lose "water" and it is hard to get the exact float voltage per temp so they won't.

I have a hard time with four 6s getting good balance per pair of 6s where one pair loses water more than the other. Eight 6s can't be easy for that!

If the scenario is to store and leave for four months, then IMO charge each to true full and take all the wires off and let them sit. If the scenario is that you can visit them every two months then charge them up again fully and take all the wire off again. Confirm with hydrometer!!!

Only float them if you can visit at least once a month and top up their water for those that need it--some will and some won't-- because it is impossible to get perfect balance with eight 6s and the perfect float voltage at the temp set for the storage place for every one of those eight batts.

You have several ways to parallel the engine batts with the house batts if floating or just float them alone, or take all the wires off them too.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the house bank from everything. Buy TWO Deltran Battery Tender Juniors. Hook them up to a mechanical lamp timer and set it to only run them 4-8 hours per day.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I have had great results with a BatteryMinder Plus charger -- it pulses, which supposedly decreases sulphation of the plates. Seems to work -- my batteries last me five years, despite heavy use.

I take the batteries off the trailer and hook them up in my garage.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a "good" 3 stage converter, I agree with just plugging it in. That leaves out WFCO and Parallax/Magnetek. If the chassis batteries are NOT charged by the converter, add a Trik-L-Start, or a Battery Tender brand trickle charger just for them.

If you don't have a "good" 3 stage converter, get 2 of the Battery Tender brand trickle chargers.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Trik-L-Start (if you don't have a BIRD or something similar) plus plug in the unit and let the converter keep the batteries charged via its converter or inverter/charger. Obviously you won't be able to run many big electrical loads off of the power you have, but the converter alone loafing along won't be a problem at all.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the RV has a "B.I.R.D." type isolator (Bi-directional, Isolator Relay Device) then just plug it in and let the on board 3-stage charger maintain.

Else.. battery tenders. You may need two
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times