Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Used class a ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Used class a ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to PPL Motorhomes in Texas (I know, you are all the way into OK.)

PPL Diesel Motorhomes

You can set it up to go according to price, low to high. There are several on there that are newer, and less miles. Also the prices are typically negotiable.

Stick with a 40'. You won't regret it.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being used to a truck and truck camper you might want to consider a class A with enough power (12 or 15 litre diesel) to pull a 4x4 truck and camper as a toad.

Mommalu

Mpls. MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought an 07 Coachman 40 DP, with 53K miles for under $70K and love it. However you need to take into consideration that things may need replacing, or you want to upgrade to new and improved items especially if it's been lived in, or sat too long.
We were prepared for an additional $13K, we're at $20K. Tho we up graded things that most would live with. Wanted to add our personal touches.
Here's a breakdown, started with a new exhaust manifold, it runs great now!
New driver & passenger chairs, because the seat belts wouldn't retract, and they weren't comfy. New refrigerator, 2 new A/C's, new mattress, replaced plastic sinks with residential, faucets too.
I hated the bronze door pulls and light fixtures so I replaced them with brushed nickel and upgraded lights to LED's. Replaced the tired old AM/FM radio with an Alpine 3x7"screen with Apple play, can use our phones for GPS and tunes, upgraded the speakers too.
Then the inverter died and took the batteries with it so that was upgraded from 1200 watts to 2000 apparently they last about 7 years.
Sounds like a lot but we love this thing and are confident with all the systems now. My hubby calls it the SS for "She Shed" LOL
Good luck in your search, may you find one that fits most of your wants and needs, they're out there!

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timn wrote:

We really want to keep our purchase price below 60000 $. I have found a pretty nice Dutch star 1999 model with 110000 miles on it. I just don't to have break downs on the road. Should I stay away from older mhs is it worth the risk.

We're going on our 3rd RV - first a Class A gasser, then a Class A DP, and now back to a Class A gasser (check my signature for model info).

As a former Newmar owner, I'd like to say that you can't do wrong with one, but it depends on a number of things . . . former owner(s), where it was kept (in the AZ sun? near the salty coast? etc etc).

For example, we just finished looking at two 2001 Class A gasser RVs, both similar National RV models (length, engine, chassis). However, one has 61K miles & 5 owners and looks like it just returned from Burning Man. The other one has 36K miles & 1 owner and looks like it was kept in garage in a gated community for 20 years. But the 61K one costs less than 1/2 of the 36K one.

Nevertheless, an older RV can end up being a better and more dependable buy than a newer one. Sometimes.

Currently, it's still a seller's market. For example, I sold my 2001 Newmar in May for about $20K more than we expected. Now I'm buying an RV for about $10K more than I expected to pay. C'est la vie.

With either an older (2000ish) gas or diesel Class A, expect to replace the tires, fridge, and ACs.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timn wrote:

Ok the wife is retiring next summer. We travel now in a artic fox 990 slide in. We are getting older and need more comfort. I have been looking at several older used class a diesel pushers. We really want to keep our purchase price below 60000 $. I have found a pretty nice Dutch star 1999 model with 110000 miles on it. I just don't to have break downs on the road. Should I stay away from older mhs is it worth the risk. Thanks for your opinions.

We just went back to a class A from a Truck Camper, the wife's back can't take the climb anymore. Our problem was finding one with the right floorplan vs size. We had a "34" Holiday Rambler that was 37' and was really just to big being from the TC world and ended back in a TC. This Tiffin we found by accident is perfect. 30'-31' total, 2 slides, basement storage, decent capacities, and we got a smokin deal on it. I would have liked to find a diesel, but this was to good of a deal to pass on. F53 Ford chassis, V10 with 5spd auto with 48K on it, and well taken care of. Don't be afraid of gas coaches and IMO go pre 2008.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

H & E

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started looking for a 36 foot DP after 11 months of looking we ended up with a 40' Newmar Dutch Star. We love it and are now glad we went to the larger coach. We spend 4 to 6 months in it every summer. Now we are thinking about selling it as we have been everywhere we wanted to go and some places twice. I would sell it for 60K which includes the car and all the items et. that are in the basement or inside.
2001 Newmar Dutch Star model 4095
CAT 330 HP engine, Allison 6 speed transmission.
72K miles
Comes with 2014 Cadillac SRX set up with M & G breaking system and Blue Ox Avail tow bar. Including a Protect-A-Tow between coach and car. Car has 90K miles on it, new tires in 2021.

We purchased in 2019 and have put 16K miles on it. It has been in enclosed storage, while not on the road, since we have owned it.

In 2019 these items were replaced:
Washer & Dryer
Tires and pressure sensor system
Coach batteries
Radiator, over flow tank, all hoses and belts.
HWH control pad, wiring harness, motor, and two valves
Removed one fold out couch and installed two leather recliners
Installed new flat screen TV, Dish Wally system, DVD player and blue tooth radio.
Roof joints have been re sealed along with some other areas. (There was no evidence of any leaks).

In 2020 these items were replaced:
Windshield and gasket.
Wiper blades
Carpet in main area.
Chassis batteries
Wheels aligned.

In 2021 These items were replaced:
Refrigerator (reused original cherry wood door panels)
Added a small refrigerator to basement area (great for cold drinks)
All items not personal will remain with the coach, including, but not limited to:
Dishes, wine glasses, table ware, cook ware,. bed clothes, linens etc.

In the basement storage:
two zero gravity chairs, one free standing hammock, two pull out drawers, two outside area mats, one alum folding table, four inch blocks for jacks, stainless steel grill with

Contact me and I can sent photos if you are interested.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Used class a ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.