cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redwoods...Ave of the Giants and Newton Drury Pkwy

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding these two Redwood drives (southbound)....
1. Can I drive the whole length of these roads in my motorhome with tow car? Any low bridges or anything else of concern?
2. Any place on either drive to pull over while driving motorhome with tow car and take a very short walk in the redwoods?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
10 REPLIES 10

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree on Ancient Redwoods -- very big rig friendly. In late May and early June, the cherry trees planted between the sites have ripe fruit -- these are Rainier cherries. They are a little tart but very flavorful:

Click For Full-Size Image.

And in August, they have great blackberries, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again. I will be careful. The drive might be on a Thursday. We've done the drive years ago. Can't even remember if it was in the car or our old little Class C. Actually, can't remember much..ha ha! That's why I'm asking about it. Plus we will have a relative from KY with us who has never seen this area (or any of our drive home!).
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware that there will be some tight spots. Plenty of trees show the scars of those that have mis-judged their width.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go during the week, if possible. Avenue of the Giants is an understated drive, with many places to pull over and park, even with an RV w/toad. It's a place every American should visit, just like Yosemite and King's Canyon.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for all the information and suggestions. I have limited time, driving down 101 from Oregon Coast on the way home. So I'm trying to pick and choose what we want to do. The Redwoods are definitely very worthy! Have spent some time in the area over a decade ago. Just may not have time to stop and explore on this trip.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can do so but it will be much more enjoyable to park the MH and drive the toad. Pullouts for your whole rig are few. I agree with comments on Ancient Redwoods.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from Ancient Redwoods. Conveniently located near the Founders Grove and the road to HoneyDew past the Rockefeller forest (best giant redwoods in my opinion). Good people and a quiet location.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you spend a couple of nights at the Ancient Redwoods RV Park right on the Avenue of the Giants and use your tow car to explore the area. It's a great RV Park and very convenient for seeing the area.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem. But if you can do more than a drive-by and a quick walk, you will really enjoy both Humboldt Redwoods and Prairie Creek. Spend some time in a big grove of these huge ancient trees.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
yes
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.