cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon to charge 25% more for out of state RV campers

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting next year. Although fun don't shoot the messenger for this PSA.

https://katu.com/news/local/oregon-to-charge-out-of-state-rv-campers-25-more

I have done a lot of fishing and RV plus truck camping in Oregon on my veterans discount and plan to do more next year.
64 REPLIES 64

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
And oregon state parks do have discounts:
not sure what fee if any for out of state but active military on leave or service connected disabled vet's camp for free for up to 10 days/month in RV or tent sites (not yurts)

foster parents camp for free up to 14 days/month. for active military, disabled, foster parents.

The above do need to pay for extra vehicles etc. but still it is great to see the support for military and foster parents.

https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=visit.faq#discounts

We've camped all over the west and midwest in state, federal, county BLM, and dispersed campsite. The oregon state parks are well kept up and located near many of the things we do outdoors. They vary from full hookup campgrounds all the way to no hookups but vault toilets and water nearby.

If you don't want to pay out of state fees, GREAT!!!! better chance I will be able to get a reservation on short notice!! Thanks to those who based on the out of state fees decide NOT to visit oregon.

Oregon also has lots of county campgrounds that are nice as well.

x100%

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well said brutha!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
And oregon state parks do have discounts:
not sure what fee if any for out of state but active military on leave or service connected disabled vet's camp for free for up to 10 days/month in RV or tent sites (not yurts)

foster parents camp for free up to 14 days/month. for active military, disabled, foster parents.

The above do need to pay for extra vehicles etc. but still it is great to see the support for military and foster parents.

https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=visit.faq#discounts

We've camped all over the west and midwest in state, federal, county BLM, and dispersed campsite. The oregon state parks are well kept up and located near many of the things we do outdoors. They vary from full hookup campgrounds all the way to no hookups but vault toilets and water nearby.

If you don't want to pay out of state fees, GREAT!!!! better chance I will be able to get a reservation on short notice!! Thanks to those who based on the out of state fees decide NOT to visit oregon.

Oregon also has lots of county campgrounds that are nice as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
As someone spent most of my life living in that void just south of Oregon and north of Mexico (now live in Oregon) over the past 30 plus years, we have camped at practically every campground in the Eastern Sierras...I can honestly say, the handful of Oregon state campgrounds we have visited are far superior than any state campground we stayed at in So Cali.

So, is having a quality weekend worth paying a small premium? My goal is quality recreating.

But if one's goal is to pay the least, then BLM has got you covered.

See, everybody happy.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We won't be returning to the current Disney World. As A Disabled Vet, i think I might get a discount but still too high. In Yellowstone, Teton area, Jackson Hole particularly, if you don't RV, first week of September we paid about $450.00 plus tax per night. Didn't matter if it was older40sand 50s motel or the Hilton. Prices were fixed and motels not full.
Not being Daddy Warbucks we do have have a budget.
In Michigan some County and Municipal parks have gone the next step no one but Michigan Residents or the County Residents in RV Parks on Lake Michigan.Perfectly ok but out of state forget some choice lake access.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
A sure way to attract tourism dollars is to tax the tourists heavy, NOT.
"Kids we aren't going to Disneyland or Yellowstone, or that state park in Oregon because the tax rate is too high" is something no one has ever said.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Those of you who like paying high prices for campgrounds I thank you as a 100% Disabled vet. Your dollars at work for my R&R. Cheers

You're welcome and so are others that deserve to be compensated for sacrifices made on behalf of the US.

(At least you realize you're being subsidized unlike others in this thread that get angry when the party is over.)
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those of you who like paying high prices for campgrounds I thank you as a 100% Disabled vet. Your dollars at work for my R&R. Cheers

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:

Actually prob the opposite will happen with the cheapskates moving on leaving room for those willing to spend more $$$/capita than those w butthurt over paying an out of state rate.

Besides the tax funds the one of the most necessary parts of camping, the campground (and the OR rest stops.)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
When demand exceeds supply it's only natural for prices to rise.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, the bright side is, with any luck the economy keeps holding out next year,even with the govt (at all levels in lefty states) is draining the businesses and tax paying working folk.
And hopefully the supply chain issues arenโ€™t solved and now people are new campersโ€ฆ
Then I can be โ€œgreedyโ€ and sell some poor sucker my setup for far too much money still, like could have this year!

PS, this isnโ€™t political, just math. This state has directly or indirectly siphoned approximately a million dollars out of me ( more accurately the company I work for) on just 2 different construction projects due to their policies and mandates since the Vid started. And Iโ€™m not done bleeding yet. But it sure is hard to recoupโ€ฆcorrection, impossible.
Itโ€™s bad enough that the board of directors (Canadian company) is considering pulling the plug on our US infrastructure Ops because itโ€™s now worse than what Canada takes from them!
Never mind the 2 new personal state taxes being implemented this year pulling out of my pocket personally.
And Iโ€™m not even camping at an out of state State Park!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Super_Dave wrote:
Greed abounds. The campground that we stay at on a monthly basis (at a discounted rate) is dropping their monthly sites because they can make more money on nightlies and a full campground.

Greed? Lol
Thatโ€™s as funny as the out of state fishing license post!

You must be a very generous person to think that simple capitalism is greed (generally the term greed has a negative connotation).

If your boss offered to double your pay, youโ€™d refuse because it would be greedy? Lol

Edit, my post is sort of a double postโ€ฆoops.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Greed abounds. The campground that we stay at on a monthly basis (at a discounted rate) is dropping their monthly sites because they can make more money on nightlies and a full campground.
Unlike that dirty rotten greedy park owner, I am sure you have passed on every chance you have had to increase your income.
In retrospect that appears to be a bad decision on your part. Because if you had taken those opportunities to increase your income you could likely afford to pay that nightly rate and still stay for a month.

It has nothing to do with my ability to afford it for a month. For us, the price now just exceeds the value/experience of staying there but I appreciate your concern for my finances.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk