cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini Split AC

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have watched a couple of youtube videos of Mini Split ACs in a RV. The advantage is way more quiet, less power to operate and cheaper.

The problem is where to put the compressor box. I don't know nothing about AC units and you will tell from my question.

I was thinking if you could mount the compressor horizontally (flat) It would open many more options like under the RV. Is that possible?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
6 REPLIES 6

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I modded a 8k window unit for my little Toyota to run with a Honda 2000. I have 3 DIY minis in my house and would have installed a mini in my RV years ago. But I have no room for the evaporator, inside unit. The blower wheel may have to be removed from the AC and on mine need to be pulled out of the left hand side, varies by manufacturer. Removing entire unit is an option. Which means the space on the left needs to be as wide as the unit. Other than that the inverter minis would be ideal!

For my Toy the only area to mount would be someplace on the rear.https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=How+to+remove+blower+wheel+from+Daikin+Mini+Spl...

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t believe the compressor vibration mounts would survive mounting the outdoor unit horizontal, at least not the Mitsubishi units I install.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would consider the rear of the Rig (not necessarly on the bumper depending on so many things I do not wish to try and list) but make sure the unit has VERY good support.
Same with the indoor half of the split.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've seen a few mounted on the rear bumper. Do make sure to beef up the supports as the rear bumper is really just sheet metal not designed to support much weight.

The big advantage I see is it eliminates a hole in the roof.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Possible not likely due to debris kicking up from roadway. Most have been mounted on tongue or back bumper.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mount it flat. That would restrict the air flow/cooling too much.

Most residential mini-splits also do. Good job of heating thus eliminating the need of a furnace and one less appliance that needs propane. If you seldom boondock, and/or are willing to heat water with electricity, you have eliminated another need for propane. Cooking with electricity is a "no brainer".

The point of that discussion is, with no propane, you now have a good mounting location for the mini-split compressor !