cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoiding Nashville

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any easy way to avoid Nashville coming from Pennyrile SP, KY to Tims Ford SP,TN?
Is it better to grin & bear it & go through or to fudge around & try to skirt it?
Just hate taking the RV through that city!!!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
10 REPLIES 10

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I usually take 840 when traveling across the state. But I'm not sure if you can work that into your route since you're going more north to south.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I havent gone thru there in a few years, but when i did i just drove straight thru and tried to time it away from rush hours. I never found the bypass to save any time.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrain and lack of good roads make it very difficult to go around. The so called Nashville by-pass is just a name. We have looked several ways and I even talked to an LEO about the quickest way around. His advice was to go straight through. Pay attention to the route signs. They happen unexpectantly with the terrain there.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
Just know your route ahead of time and truck right on through. If you can avoid rush hour it wonโ€™t be terrible.

^This.

You are less than two hours from Nashville. Just get on the road mid-morning and you'll hit it at a reasonable time. I'm 3.5 hours from Nashville and used to haul a big cargo trailer through there regularly. We'd either stop for breakfast or leave late enough to time the trip for late morning.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, it is hard to avoid. What I do when going through on I24, even though I know my route, is to put the other side of Nashville into the GPS. It lets me know which lanes to be in. I24 varies from needing to be in left or right lanes, and I can never remember which. This gives more of a heads up than the road signs.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is no good way to avoid Nashville from where you are coming from...UNLESS you want to take secondary roads and add a bunch of time to your trip. Most secondary roads are just fine to take but the stop and go will add hours to the trip that will take 6 or more hours by interstate I'm sure....according to Google maps anyway. Bite the bullet and go straight through.

Have you been to Tims Ford before? There are 2 campgrounds, the main one and Fairview Devil's Step that is 10 miles south of the main CG. How big is your rig? The main CG sites will accommodate rigs maybe 30 ft long...and that would be tight IMO. Fairview has the larger sites that will accommodate the big rigs. My TT is 37 ft. long and Fairview is where we stay when we visit Lynchburg and the Jack Daniel Distillery. One of our favorite parks.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Travelled 40 east to west Sunday, no major construction problems in Nashville, Knoxville was as much of a PIA as ever.
Try to schedule your big city transits on the weekends and they go easier.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Just know your route ahead of time and truck right on through. If you can avoid rush hour it wonโ€™t be terrible.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
There are ways to get around but lots of changing roads.
If you come down 24 take 155 east, which goes around downtown and you will go by Opry Mills and come out somewhat east of downtown. It will help some.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Stay away during rush hour.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos