Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Land border closed to Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Land border closed to Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MPI_Mallard

Morpeth Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We open our land border to the U.S. to "non-essential" visitors so they can look after their owned property here in Canada but we can't do the same for our owned property we own in the U.S.,, sure we can fly over but we can't drive across in our RV's and other than protecting the airline industry I simply can't see how it's safer to stuff a couple of hundred people into a aluminum tube with a closed ventilation system opposed to me and my wife going through your border in our truck and driving down to Florida?? I actually sent an E-Mail to Biden reminding him on how we share the longest border in the world and we are the only people that go to the U.S. with money, health insurance and leave when we're supposed to not to mention that Canadians own over $15 billion worth of property in Florida alone and spend around $5 billion a year while we're there! I'm seriously considering selling my RV lot, let's see how long this post stays up,,

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree it's crazy you can fly here but not drive here.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Science

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPI_Mallard wrote:

We open our land border to the U.S. to "non-essential" visitors so they can look after their owned property here in Canada but we can't do the same for our owned property we own in the U.S.,, sure we can fly over but we can't drive across in our RV's and other than protecting the airline industry I simply can't see how it's safer to stuff a couple of hundred people into a aluminum tube with a closed ventilation system opposed to me and my wife going through your border in our truck and driving down to Florida?? I actually sent an E-Mail to Biden reminding him on how we share the longest border in the world and we are the only people that go to the U.S. with money, health insurance and leave when we're supposed to not to mention that Canadians own over $15 billion worth of property in Florida alone and spend around $5 billion a year while we're there! I'm seriously considering selling my RV lot, let's see how long this post stays up,,

Actually I agree with you and the post will stay up as long as the politics don't get out of hand.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I’m still trying to understand the science behind this since it appears CA is well ahead of the US in vaccination rate. My wife had to show proof of vaccination to attend a play last week, not sure why the same wouldn’t work at border crossings.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I actually sent an E-Mail to Biden reminding him on how we share the longest border in the world and we are the only people that go to the U.S. with money, health insurance and leave when we're supposed to."

Well said.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever it is, its a lot closer to politics than science. And BOTH sides distort the heck out of it.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This subject has been discussed at length by politicians on both sides. Logic does not apply. One thought was that the President has a full plate right now and does not need any controversy. Another person responded" that means the border won't open until after the mid terms" Of course that comment was in jest.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPI_Mallard wrote:

We open our land border to the U.S. to "non-essential" visitors so they can look after their owned property here in Canada but we can't do the same for our owned property we own in the U.S.,, sure we can fly over but we can't drive across in our RV's and other than protecting the airline industry I simply can't see how it's safer to stuff a couple of hundred people into a aluminum tube with a closed ventilation system opposed to me and my wife going through your border in our truck and driving down to Florida??

As someone in both the aviation industry and an avid RV’er I can tell you, the reasons are absolutely logical.

Actually it’s almost more logistical than logical.

People being at an airport, distant from the border, with lots of parking, seating, washrooms, food concessions, etc, etc, several hours before their flight is normal. There is ample time, space and staff for vetting travellers.

I’m sure everyone here has crossed the border during a busy time and had a short wait.

Now imagine what a disaster it would be if all of a sudden every land crossing (with no food, water, washrooms) was backed up due to far greater scrutiny, trying turn inadmissible travellers around, secondary jammed with clearing up paperwork SNAFU’s, etc, etc.

It would be a nightmare, very likely also affecting the very required truck traffic.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original rationale was that if flying, you get to your destination and then quartile for 2 weeks and if you are carrying the virus, the physical area in which you have contact is limited. In contrast, drive across the border, you are stopping every night (and remember, this is originally projected as people in CARS, not RVs) in a different place, going into restaurants along the way, so that you might spread the virus in several states as you wander to your destination. Yes, things are different now, but also Canada only has one border they are having to deal with, we also have 2, so that adds another layer of complexity. Not saying I agree with what they have in place, because I don't, but that is how it came about.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Land border closed to Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.