Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Are Butyl Tapes Equal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Are Butyl Tapes Equal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bajajoaquin wrote:

Thank you very much. Can I impose a bit more? What is the difference in use cases for eternabond and butyl tape? Which would be better for my application?
For your application you need butyl tape. Chuck

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember, the beauty of butyl is that it is easily replaceable ! It is NOT an adhesive. Other mechanical fasteners are required to keep items in place. You should use fasteners that can be removed so that the butyl can be replaced, instead of adding more layers of your favorite adhesive caulk !

EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3) Pure butyl tape.
The most expensive but the best choice. It sticks very well to all surfaces, never hardens or crumbles and remains pliable for years. And its a bear to remove. That's a plus, not a negative.

Correct. Sika Corp makes the butyl tape that major corporations specify for their applications. Insider knowledge so I cannot name them but Appliance and Automotive companies use only Sika. Another domestic manufacturer is located in Minnesota and theirs would work too. Butyl tape is not supported by any membrane. It's an industrial strength putty that will last for years as long as it is sandwiched between 2 surfaces.
Greg

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be ordering/purchasing some metal roofing panels and trim pieces in the morning for a couple sheds along with screws & Butyl tape. When purchased from someone who sells commercial metal roofing for homes you can get butyl tape in widths of 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" on 45 to 60 ft rolls. I don't know the price yet but I'm going to be purchasing 2 rolls in 3/8" width.

The roofing i am buying is from Marco Metals purchased through the local 84 Lumber store. I think that Marco Metals is a distributor because the same exact roofing products are also provided from Best Buy Metals.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Are Butyl Tapes Equal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.