Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macerator stopped working

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Just returned from short trip in our 07/08 RT190P and experienced macerator problems.

The volume or force of the flow seemed less, and the macerator motor seemed less noisy as well. Clearly it took longer to empty but was still working.

Tried to empty the holding tanks after getting home but this time the macerator was not pumping at all, despite hearing its motor trying to work.

I have tried churning the contents of the tank with my black tank water spray cleaning wand, as well as back washing through the discharge hose. Unfortunately neither has helped.

Now I have a full black tank (mostly water, no solids) and no way to empty it! Winterizing will be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on the problem and/or solutions?

Many thanks,

Arvie1
15 REPLIES 15

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Arvie1,

Happy to see that things are working for you. Can't wait till spring to get everything fixed and get on the road again.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Fullmoon

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I just winterized the RT this week and wanted to check out the new macerator to see that it operated as it should, before I tucked her in for the winter.

As the tank had not been used since the new macerator was installed, I half filled both the black and grey tanks with water, and then tried it out. Wow...what a difference,like a fire hose now... and both valves worked as the should!! Costly repair, but definitely worth it.

I guess it's like worn brakes on your car....you don't realize how bad they were, until they are replaced!

After emptying the water from the sanitary tanks, running antifreeze throughout the entire plumbing system, including the macerator, I was a happy man!

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Arvie1,

Sounds like a nightmare. So sorry you had to go through that. I was reading somewhere where someone had the mascerator removed and another system put in. I am going to look into it in the spring.

I suspect that our tank valves are damaged too. Not looking forward to this reapair.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fullmooon,

I finally resorted to raising the van onto three layers of link levellers on the passenger side and got under the RT in my driveway.

With a 3.5 gallon bucket under the 3" ABS cleanout, I loosened the plug until the black tank started draining into the bucket. After many trips to empty the bucket down the toilet, the tanks were finally empty.

This past Tuesday, we finally had the macerator replaced. The gray slide valve however also had to be replaced as apparently the seal had dislodged some time ago and damaged the valve beyond repair. It was all internal as there was no leaking. The black valve cable was fixed, and now we are fully operational with the valves now working independently! Expensive, but good news.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
We had that kind of thing happen on our trip to NY. One of the campgrounds had a honey wagon. He decided to try to vaccuum it out and it worked. We then filled it half way with water until the next campground and found it worked a lot better.

We did have to replace it due to some damage that happened later and found out that it had been wired incorrectly at the factory.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello jjrbus,

Thanks for the link. It is definitely a great idea.

My valve handles seen to work easily when pulling and pushing back in, but do not seem to actually affect any change. I cannot separate the grey from the black and they empty simultaneously.

Each valve connects to a cable (similar to bicycle brakes)and I wonder if this is the source of the problem if there is too much slack or movement in the cable.

Thanks again for you input.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Arvie1 wrote:
Hello jjrbus,

Thank you for your reply and link. Definitely interesting.

Our RT does have the grey and black slide valve handles, but they too do not function as they should anymore. I will have that fixed as well.

Here's an UPDATE on how I got the tanks emptied this weekend.

I put the van on three layers of Link Levellers on the passenger side only of the van. This allowed me to gain access to the macerator and plumbing.

There is a 3 inch ABS clean out/drain with a plug. I placed a 3 1/2 gallon pail under the plug and then loosened the plug until fluid from both tanks started to drain into the pail being careful not to unscrew the plug entirely! I did this several times and emptied the pails down the toilet.

I then used my black tank spray wand and gave the tank another cleaning and then emptied it again. For the first time in a long time, the tank actually registered green on the instrument panel!! SUCCESS ! And no adverse impact to the environment 🙂

Long time ago in a land far away the wizened ancient ones shared their secret of keeping slide valves functioning. The simple addition of a Zerk fitting and a bit of grease every now and then. Real pain to post a picture here, Google Zerk fitting in RV dump valve if you are interested.https://www.rvforum.net/threads/added-grease-fittings-to-dump-valves-on-42-tour-very-smooth-operatio...

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello jjrbus,

Thank you for your reply and link. Definitely interesting.

Our RT does have the grey and black slide valve handles, but they too do not function as they should anymore. I will have that fixed as well.

Here's an UPDATE on how I got the tanks emptied this weekend.

I put the van on three layers of Link Levellers on the passenger side only of the van. This allowed me to gain access to the macerator and plumbing.

There is a 3 inch ABS clean out/drain with a plug. I placed a 3 1/2 gallon pail under the plug and then loosened the plug until fluid from both tanks started to drain into the pail being careful not to unscrew the plug entirely! I did this several times and emptied the pails down the toilet.

I then used my black tank spray wand and gave the tank another cleaning and then emptied it again. For the first time in a long time, the tank actually registered green on the instrument panel!! SUCCESS ! And no adverse impact to the environment 🙂

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have been watching for a Roadtrek for sale and not real fond of the macerator only setup.

Trying to learn what I can I looked on the net and found this article and wonder does the RT have the slide valves for the black and grey tanks? If not could they be added?

https://help.leisurevans.com/en/articles/1866824-dumping-the-tanks-if-the-macerator-fails

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Second one? I hate using the macerator pump this is my second roadtrek and it’s The only thing I really dislike on their units. I wish they would go to a regular dumping system.
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Arvie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you jdc1, Jim&Carolyn, MitchF150 and bdpreece,

I appreciate your comments and have booked the earliest appointment for replacement on Oct 12th. We only turned 50,000 miles on this last trip and try to keep our RT in the best condition we can...even no tissue in the black tank! This will be my second replacement macerator! A little disappointing for so little use, but maybe that is part of the problem.

Hopefully I can figure out some way to empty the tank before taking it to the RV Centre so they don't have to endure that unpleasantry!

Thanks again for your input.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
When mine went it was the impeller which has rubber blades to pump the sewage. I ordered a new impeller and rebuilt mine. Kind of an icky job but a lot cheaper than a new unit.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
yeah, I'd just buy a new one and move on with life.. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it's time for a replacement. They don't last forever.
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular