cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 misfire codes

Paulson
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2016 Fleetwood bounder with a Triton V10. On the way home on a 20 minute drive, the check engine light started flashing. Codes were P0300, P0302, and P0306. Since then on various test drives, it has popped all of the even numbered misfire codes 02 thru 10. It has never popped an odd numbered misfire code. Found out about a TSB, so took it to the Ford dealership to have the PCM software upgraded. However they informed me I already have the upgrade. We have replaced all 10 spark plugs and coils. I have checked the PCV valve hose for leaks. I have replaced the MAF. The check engine light will typically flash after having been under load, and then I back off on the Accelerator So after going up a hill, it will not flash until I take my foot off the gas, and then it will flash going down the hill. I am stumped, especially considering it only pops even numbered misfire codes. Any input would be appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Cylinder two and six are on opposide of the engine.
This shows where cylinders are located. My thinking it would not be an intake vacuum leak.
V-10 engine layout

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Since it’s all on the one side I would check for a vacuum leak. The plugs and coils for that year was good for preventive maint so that wasn’t a waste of $$$$. It needs to be diagnosed could be as simple as a bad O2 sensor.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Similar issues on my previous F150 with a 5.4. I ended up getting an ODBII reader with the torque app. It shows real time data. Misfire rates for the ford engines have thresholds that may/may not throw a code. But the torque app allows you to see that actual misfire rates and pinpoint the exact cylinder. Usually it's a coil pack. I actually started carrying extra in the truck and could swap it out in 5 minutes. One trick I did that seemed to stop the problem was a liberal amount of dialectic grease on on it before installing. The plug wells are deep on those engines and hold moisture which I think contributes to the fouling. After I started to do that, I never had the issue again.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a vacuum leak check by spraying around the intake manifold and throttle body with carb cleaner. If you have a leak it will suck in the cleaner which will change the idle slightly.

If you can find a leak and the fuel trims are wacky then swap O2 sensors and see if your P codes change to the other cylinder back.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
How is the chassis battery/connections? When my battery started going south, I would get random multiple misfire codes for a short time after startup. New battery solved that.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not use OEM coil packs!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
P0302 and P0306 are cylinder 2 and 6. Probably coil packs
P0300 is random miss fire. Commonly goes away when coil packs are replaced.
What brand of coil packs did you install? Many are not worth much inclding factory ones from Ford.

I would agree with stick with OEM (Motorcraft), but OP says they have been replaced.

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Intake air leak on the even numbered side.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
P0302 and P0306 are cylinder 2 and 6. Probably coil packs
P0300 is random miss fire. Commonly goes away when coil packs are replaced.
What brand of coil packs did you install? Many are not worth much inclding factory ones from Ford.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Stop shooting in the dark !

Check fuel trims !

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little brother a 5.4 I had problems with mine throwing codes after chasing down all the stuff and getting injectors cleaned excetera excetera neighbor asked when last time I cleaned throttle body, found something on YouTube followed it and fixed the problem. Also I checked all electri connectors up near the throttle body maybe there's something to do with that also not sure
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You need a code reader that can access "live data". Shooting the parts cannon gets expensive quick.

First thing to look for (besides the misfire) is short and long term fuel trim. I'll bet he side still misfiring has a large positive long term trim. This indicates an air leak. If only on one cylinder it could be a bad injector.

Stop shooting from the hip !