Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Outrageous CA registration fee!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Outrageous CA registration fee!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last December we bought a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. They want $775 to register it for 2022! WTH? We never paid anything like that much before on our previous motorhome. Is this some new punishment from our governor for our "carbon footprint" or some such nonsense? Does anyone know what's going on? We are furious! We love living here for the climate and geography but this has to be the worst governed state in the union.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

Last December we bought a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. They want $775 to register it for 2022! WTH? We never paid anything like that much before on our previous motorhome. Is this some new punishment from our governor for our "carbon footprint" or some such nonsense? Does anyone know what's going on? We are furious! We love living here for the climate and geography but this has to be the worst governed state in the union.

What does the fee breakdown say? How much did it cost to register it when you bought it? Was it significantly less?

I suspect that most of it is the VLF (i.e. a property tax for vehicles), plus a hefty transportation improvement fee. The VLF should reduce each year as the vehicle ages.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:24pm by an administrator/moderator *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 01:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There were additional fees added to the registration renewals in 2017 BEFORE Newsom came into office. Those plus the fact that you just bought the RV will make your renewal on this RV much higher than an RV you bought years before. Nothing to do with this "edit governor".

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 03:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love frequently fishing and camping in CAL every year and enjoy their veterans discount but no way would I

From happy neighbor and camper. Cheers

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

I paid about $500/year here in Michigan before the RV was totaled. (Now I pay rent on an apartment... actually it was time to change)

I once priced moving to las vegas (when my daughter lived there) then, after changing underwear,,, I remained in Michigan.

775 is not outrageous for a class A at all.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

You may as well get used to it, under the current valuation to registration charges, in four or five years it will go down to about $600.

For the first time, Californians have the opportunity to pay more for vehicle registration than many pay for insurance! Aparently the residents like it, 66% just voted to keep the administration in dictatorship.

You should enjoy your gas prices, it is only $7 a gallon close to you, coming to your neighborhood soon.

Click Here

"this has to be the worst governed state in the union"

You are just figuring this out now?

* This post was last edited 09/24/21 01:26pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is that a one time registration or annual?

Some states have gone to a permanent trailer plate, so you only pay once. Great if you hold the trailer for 20-30yrs...not so good if you trade every 2-5yrs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Is that a one time registration or annual?

Some states have gone to a permanent trailer plate, so you only pay once. Great if you hold the trailer for 20-30yrs...not so good if you trade every 2-5yrs.

Annual........

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Teleman wrote:

Last December we bought a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. They want $775 to register it for 2022! WTH? We never paid anything like that much before on our previous motorhome. Is this some new punishment from our a-hole governor for our "carbon footprint" or some such nonsense? Does anyone know what's going on? We are furious! We love living here for the climate and geography but this has to be the worst governed state in the union.

What does the fee breakdown say? How much did it cost to register it when you bought it? Was it significantly less?

I suspect that most of it is the VLF (i.e. a property tax for vehicles), plus a hefty transportation improvement fee. The VLF should reduce each year as the vehicle ages.

Thar is correct. Do other states have a property tax for vehicles? Transportation improvement fee? Lol. When we crossed from Nevade into California on I80 recently there was no need for a sign to let us know we had entered CA as the smooth well maintained road ended and the rough surfaces of the richest state of the union made their presence felt immidiately.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

There were additional fees added to the registration renewals in 2017 BEFORE Newsom came into office. Those plus the fact that you just bought the RV will make your renewal on this RV much higher than an RV you bought years before. Nothing to do with this " governor".

You're right. That was the previous governor who was almost as bad.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:27pm by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Outrageous CA registration fee!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.