cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering problems w/ 30 ft Winnebago

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2006 Winnebago aspect 29 h Motorhome and it wanders a little when driving at higher speeds. Can anyone give me advice on how to corrrect this problem?
BTW it has 57k miles on an E450 chassis..
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
11 REPLIES 11

ronfisherman
Snomas wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
Check tire pressure. Over inflated tires can cause wondering. Especially on the front.

I ran if with 80 rear and 55 front. What do you run in yours?

I got MH weighed. Then set tire pressure per tire manufactures pressure chart.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Good info posted above. I had Steer Safe steering stabilizers put on my Winnebago. Made a big difference.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine had a Winney with the same issues. He bought an after market steering stabalizer and installed it himself. He was very pleased with the improvement.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
Check tire pressure. Over inflated tires can cause wondering. Especially on the front.

I ran if with 80 rear and 55 front. What do you run in yours?

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Do you have experience driving similar long-wheelbase vehicles previously?

While it's certainly possible that the alignment needs adjusting or some suspension parts are worn (both are quite common problems), it may also partly be you not being used to how the vehicle behaves. The natural tendency of many people at first is to overcorrect because it takes longer for the vehicle to respond to steering adjustments. Sometimes the solution is as simple as consciously looking further down the road and perhaps trying to make more gentle steering inputs to keep in the proper lane position.

I drove a 31ft 1996 Safari Trek for 4 years (P30 chassis), a 40ft 2002 Newmar Duchstar for 15 years ( Spartan chassis) sold it in 2017 with 106K miles.

I will have the camber checked and form what I'm now reading , I will add a safe-T steer, Billstein shocks, and sway bars.

It has air bags but the previous owner rode it with only 25 PSI and I will increase to 40-50 PSI

I had the tires inflated to 55- 80PSI front to back. before I drove it home.

Thnaks for your input and I hope this all works out.

I love the fiberglass roof and interior quality of winnebago and think it's second to Coach House and Phoenix Cruise of that era.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the above can be true, however there are things that you need to check first. Yes I own a 12 aspect. Check tire pressures, do not use the 75psi on sidewall or whatever is on door jamb. I run mine at 60-65 for fronts, 70 for rears. Depending on load what airbag pressures do you run? Again mine is 55-70 again depending on load. Have you weighed the rig mine comes in around 13500 we travel light. 1/3 tank water, empty black/grey tanks (all located over and back of rear axle).

When 1st got ours it did wander but I had to experiment with the above settings to get it to stabilize. I have new shocks to install and I got a new steer stabilizer but havent gotten around to putting on since we are not going to travel again this year due to the virus.

There was a road test back around 10-11 on the winnebago and these were also complained about, however I havent been able to find it since I read it years ago.

PM me if you have questions

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have experience driving similar long-wheelbase vehicles previously?

While it's certainly possible that the alignment needs adjusting or some suspension parts are worn (both are quite common problems), it may also partly be you not being used to how the vehicle behaves. The natural tendency of many people at first is to overcorrect because it takes longer for the vehicle to respond to steering adjustments. Sometimes the solution is as simple as consciously looking further down the road and perhaps trying to make more gentle steering inputs to keep in the proper lane position.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Common problem. Take it to a shop that specialize in alignments. You need to have the caster adjusted to a range outside of the factory specs. This WILL NOT increase tire wear.

Ask your shop about the need for a bushing set.
I had to add a ford bushing set in order to properly spec my E450.

2003-2017 Ford E450 Super Duty Alignment Caster / Camber Bushing Set, Ford E450 Super Duty Alignment Caster / Camber Bushing Set, DIY Solutions Alignment Caster / Camber Bushing Set SKU: 5024-07376532 Rear Wheel Drive; Front Steering 03-17 Ford Alignment Caster / Camber Bushing Set. Replacement Alignment Caster / Camber Bushing Set Parts. 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem. Take it to a shop that specialize in alignments. You need to have the caster adjusted to a range outside of the factory specs. This WILL NOT increase tire wear.

ronfisherman
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to an alignment shop to have frontend parts checked out and get it an alignment.
2014 Allegro 36LA