cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging a towed vehicle's battery

fwtraveler1
Explorer
Explorer
I can not get my RVI battery charger to work towing my 2020 Chev Equinox. Is there another/better system out there for charging a towed vehicle behind an RV?
11 REPLIES 11

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is true that the MH will have an 'always hot' pin in the back, usually part of the 7 pin connector back there.

HOWEVER, as someone previously stated, do NOT assume that said pin is indeed hot. Check it with your voltmeter!

On Ford's F53 chassis, they do NOT wire that pin to 12V power from the factory. Neither do most RV manufacturers. We learned this with our Newmar we just bought a few months ago.

On ours, Newmar *did* run the wire from up under the dashboard, right out to the 7 pin connector at the back; They just didn't connect it at either end. I had to do that, before the charge wire would work.

Sooo, whether you use a simple charge wire or some kind of charger...Don't assume the wire thats supposed to be always hot, is. Check it with the voltmeter first.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The MH should have a pin thatโ€™s 12V hot when the engine is running. I use a 6-way at the toad (standard for RV use). However some cars require the battery to be disconnected to tow. With that you could get a small lawnmower type battery and wire it in as a dedicated battery for he brake controller and run the charge wire to that and run a 12V outlet for the brake system.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
fwtraveler1 wrote:
I can not get my RVI battery charger to work towing my 2020 Chev Equinox. Is there another/better system out there for charging a towed vehicle behind an RV?

Are you pulling the fuse for the rear windshield wiper as per instructions?

"NOTE: Towed Battery Charger Plus is compatible with all 12 volt batteries including trailers. 2019-present Chevy Equinox must pull rear windshield wiper fuse."

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Not sure "always hot" is the best idea. I think a better idea was have the charge pin controlled by the ignition switch of MH. (If it ain't running, it won't charge anyway)
And the toad end can't be mounted solid, unless you use a removable cord. A switch near toad battery to disconnect would stop a hot wire from causing trouble when not towing.
Indeed, I mis-wrote in my post. The "always hot" pin was wired to the ignition-controlled circuitry on the MoHo. I don't really want it charging when the rig is shut down.
The MoHo had the 7-bladed plug, and I used an adaptor to go to the more typical 7-pin plug to connect the toad.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm currently installing an Invisibrake system and I have run a charge wire from the truck battery to the tow'd.
The hot wire is fused at both the truck and tow vehicle batteries.
The hot wire is always hot.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure "always hot" is the best idea. I think a better idea was have the charge pin controlled by the ignition switch of MH. (If it ain't running, it won't charge anyway)
And the toad end can't be mounted solid, unless you use a removable cord. A switch near toad battery to disconnect would stop a hot wire from causing trouble when not towing.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
In the receptacle on the motorhome there is an "always hot" pin. At least there was on mine. I had them run a separate wire from that pin directly to the toad battery.

THAT is the best idea! Yes, it will require a 7-pin plug on the toad, but that is easily doable. Be sure that "always hot" pin is wired with 10 gauge wire from the power source in the motorhome all the way to the toad battery, and be sure there is a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker installed in the line at the motorhome power source. Higher amperage may be required.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just toss a solar charger on the dash.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be defective, mis wired, inadequate wiring, no input from the MH. A voltmeter is your friend.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent suggestion IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
In the receptacle on the motorhome there is an "always hot" pin. At least there was on mine. I had them run a separate wire from that pin directly to the toad battery.