RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Old Motorhome does have slides as well
25 REPLIES 25

hujarine
Explorer
Explorer
I've only seen people do it in Europe, Swiss and some part of Italy. Not so sure about US

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
DouglasC wrote:
We purchased a screen room (with canvas flaps) to use with our 1st Class A motorhome back in the early/mid 1990s. Even had the fabric altered to fit our longer & higher 2nd Class A motorhome. As had been mentioned, set up and take down were quite a job and time consuming. Due to that, we didn't use the screen room all that much, only when we stayed at least a week in one location (which didn't often happen back then).

Seems like one rarely sees these screen rooms anymore. Guess the cost and difficulty of set up and take down caused them to go out of favor with the RVing crowd.

If it is part of the awning not that much of a problem, otherwise it is like putting up a tent

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a screen room (with canvas flaps) to use with our 1st Class A motorhome back in the early/mid 1990s. Even had the fabric altered to fit our longer & higher 2nd Class A motorhome. As had been mentioned, set up and take down were quite a job and time consuming. Due to that, we didn't use the screen room all that much, only when we stayed at least a week in one location (which didn't often happen back then).

Seems like one rarely sees these screen rooms anymore. Guess the cost and difficulty of set up and take down caused them to go out of favor with the RVing crowd.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
"Do you do this the US?"

I don't personally, but if you've ever been camped at/near a mosquito infested Alpine lake, you'll quickly understand at least one reason why people do it.

When I visited friends in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, virtually everyone in the bricks and mortar development who had a pool, had a fully enclosed screened patio deck to keep the bugs out. (not to mention the occasional alligator)

Chum lee

Flies in outback Australia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm speaking of similar setups to your picture.

Also, not great when a wind storm rolls thru. Instead of 30 seconds to roll up the awning.

Still does not take long. If windy just roll it up if you are going before it gets too windy.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Do you do this the US?"

I don't personally, but if you've ever been camped at/near a mosquito infested Alpine lake, you'll quickly understand at least one reason why people do it.

When I visited friends in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, virtually everyone in the bricks and mortar development who had a pool, had a fully enclosed screened patio deck to keep the bugs out. (not to mention the occasional alligator)

Chum lee

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I've seen more of this in europe, Italy & Swis than here. looks sort of like for a longer stay required to warrant the work.
bumpy

Actually these take about 15 mins to set up

I can remember as a kid seeing the awning fully screened in like this.

15 min is very optimistic from the people I've seen setting them up.

Depends if you are making a tent or already have 3/4's done using the awning Faster taking it up than putting it in place

I'm speaking of similar setups to your picture.

Also, not great when a wind storm rolls thru. Instead of 30 seconds to roll up the awning....
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We've seen seen setups by camp hosts, etc., who are long term residents. Setup is a two person job, storage onboard takes a lot of space, careful packing. We had a '63 VW Westphalia van conversion that had a similar metal frame tent that fit the side of the camper, had a potty/changing room. Took time to set up and take down and stow away on top rack, but looked "cool". We have a free standing octogonal screen room that is like setting up a tent with stakes and support ropes. Have never used it camping but set it up in our backyard once.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
This is someone adding a room to a Caravan, so no awning to start with but he is taking little time.
Adding a Annexe on Caravan not a Motorhome

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This is someone adding a room to a Caravan, so no annexe to start with but he is taking little time.
Adding a Annexe on Caravan not a Motorhome

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Setup and takedown takes a ton of effort. Where to store that stuff is a concern too.

Have done it myself in a word no.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I've seen more of this in europe, Italy & Swis than here. looks sort of like for a longer stay required to warrant the work.
bumpy

Depends if you are making a tent or already have 3/4's done using the awning Faster taking it up than putting it in place

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Setup and takedown takes a ton of effort. Where to store that stuff is a concern too.

Actually it does not, as it is attached to the manual or power awning

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV