cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning rolling up, arms and supports not aligned

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
This past summer I had some issues with the awning sprnings, I think I have that cured as I have used the awing several times without issues however, when I close the awning the arms and supports don't line up. I have to push forward on the arms as my wife lets the awning roll up. Could spring tension cause this? The fabrics is straight on the tube! Or am I going to have to move either top or bottom mounting brackets?
2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!
9 REPLIES 9

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
With awning open, push up on roller tube to relieve pressure and slide awning along roller tube to align. Not at the top since it is screwed into place.

Reminds me of the Big Endians vs the Little Endians:

" This, however, is thought to be a mere strain upon the text: for their words are these; That all true believers shall break their eggs at the convenient end: and which is the convenient end, seems, in my humble opinion, to be left to every man's conscience, or at least in the power of the chief magistrate to determine."
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fabric would not be crooked as it is winding up and pulling the roller to one side.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify, when it it is in the closed position the fabric is not crooked on the roller.
I wish I could go out and do what was suggested right away but we have a wall on that side of our unit and it won't allow me to open the awning. It will have to wait till I have it out on the street next time.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Retired JSO wrote:
With awning open, push up on roller tube to relieve pressure and slide awning along roller tube to align. Not at the top since it is screwed into place.

Yes this! On our MiniLite this was what was causing the same problem you have. Not wanting to put a screw through the awning I fished around a big box store and found plastic rod that just fit in the slot the awning goes in, cut it so it was hitting the awning and even with the end of the slot and ran a short screw into the piece near each end. Problem solved!
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
The usual cure is to slide the top of the awning over a bit in its slot. Could be a couple of screws to undo so it will slide over

This makes sense, I will look at this first.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The usual cure is to slide the top of the awning over a bit in its slot. Could be a couple of screws to undo so it will slide over
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
First thing to do is to measure the amount of tube exposed with the awning extended. Both ends should be about the same. If not the awning needs to be pushed/pulled until the measurements are equal. This can easily happen if the awning has been out during high winds.
It happened so often on a previous 5th wheel I owned that I put a small sheet metal screw in each end of the slot to hold the awning in place.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
Could the awning have moved on the roller so that it's closer to one end. I would think if the tension is much higher on one spring than the other it could cause your problem.