cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators for 5er

dogvetia
Explorer
Explorer
After 35 years in motorhomes with on board diesel generators, we are downsizing to a 32 foot fiver. Have a ton diesel to pull so that should not be an issue. Issue will be generating enough juice to power both airs and a couple of frig wine cooler.. want something quiet since we dry camp some.. is a generator mounted on a rear rack or one carried in pick up bed better? Is a single 7000 Honda better than 2 smaller generators hooked together to provide adequate power better? I would theft maybe issue on rear rack mounting. Ant advice from experience would be appreciated. I fear the move won't be pain free but to look on it as a challenge. Thanks
2012 F350 diesel
2018 cruiser lite 28rd
65 REPLIES 65

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
One thing to mention about my cousin's solar setup is that the Nissan Leaf battery was wired for 48 volts and the solar charges at 48 volts. Power is stepped down or up, from there. A =lot= more efficient. IIRC, Michelle had the older kids double-check all Dad's load calcs as part of their "homework". ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
A generator carried on a rear rack needs substantial reenforcement.

Much simpler...and better to bolt a mount to the pin box. The pin box is very sturdy, so no worries about it falling off...unlike the typical rear trailer bumper.

If you can live with 1 Air/Con at a time, something in the 3000-4500w range is ideal.

If you are careful, the 4500w unit likely can accomodate 2 air/con units but you will need the right adapter and you have to limit the other stuff you run.

Yes, in theory you can use solar battery but by the time you build a system that can let you run air/con any reasonable amount of time, it's a whole lot cheaper and simpler just to get an appropriate generator and pay for the fuel.

My cousin and her husband did a bus conversion that's 98% electric. Propane is used for their tankless water heater and they have diesel heaters. They have 8 435W solar panels on the roof and a Nissan Leaf battery for the coach. You can see their build at www.beginningfromthismorning.com. Videos also on YT under the same name.

For anyone contemplating solar, check local companies selling used panels. Cousin used all used panels on their bus and they tested all panels with a meter before buying. All tested 430+ watts.

Lyle

So if you want to buy a system like that:
- 8 panels at 435w ~ $3000

PANELS WERE USED AND < THAN HALF THAT PRICE.

- Leaf battery pack ~ $5000

BATTERY WAS PURCHASED > 3 YEARS AGO FOR ABOUT $2500. THEY DID ALL THE MODS THEMSELVES.

- Inverter capable of running everything ~ $1500

VICTRON INVERTER USED; I HAVE NO IDEA OF COST. WATCH THEIR VIDEOS. ๐Ÿ™‚

- Installation ~ $3000

FREE, AS THEY DID ALL WORK ON THE SOLAR, ELECTRICAL/DIGITAL WIRING, PLUMBING, TILING, INTERIOR (WHICH INCLUDED BUILDING ALMOST EVERYTHING), AND A LOT OF OTHER STUFF, THEMSELVES.

I can buy a generator and keep it maintained and fueled a lot cheaper than $12,500 (feel free to tweak the numbers but it's a big chunk of cash).

THEY ARE FULL-TIMING WITH THEIR 4 KIDS, SO THIS IS THEIR HOUSE, NOT AN RV. WORK SPACE FOR JUAN AND SCHOOL HOUSE FOR MICHELLE AND THE KIDS.

So your average RVer who isn't an electritian...you proved my point that it's technically possible but not practical.

MICHELLE USED ALL THE BUILDING AS EXERCISES IN MATH AND BASIC ENGINEERING AND DESIGN FOR THEIR SCHOOL WORK. THE 2 OLDERS LEARNED WELDING, BASIC MACHINE WORK, WOODWORKING, PAINTING, TILE INSTALLATION, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, ETC. THAT'S ON TOP OF ALL THE AUTOMATION THEY INSTALLED, AND THE KIDS HELPED WITH.

Also, that's just shy of 3.5kw of panels and can be expected to produce around 14KWH per day on average. Assuming the air/con pulls 1500w...assuming no other loads, you have around 9 hours of air/con in a 24hour period, so with a massive system, you still aren't independent of the grid/generator.

ACTUALLY, IF TEMPS AREN'T > 105F, THE 8 PANELS WILL MAINTAIN EVERYTHING AND STILL CHARGE THE BATTERY. EVEN DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD, THEY'RE PUTTING NEARLY 2000 WATTS OUT. ONLY TIME THEY HAD ISSUES WAS DURING THEIR BUILD WHEN TEMPS WERE > 105F. JUAN ADDED 2 GROUND DEPLOYED PANELS TO KEEP UP. ALSO, ANY TIME THEY'RE ON SHORE POWER, THEY'RE CHARGING.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 2009 flooded battery bank was 875 amp-hours. It was not bothered by running the roof air. My current bank is reconditioned telco batteries about 540 amp-hours. They are not bothered running the roof air.

My maximum draw is about 190 amps.

The solar is tiny by today's standards, so I use freecampsites.net when I need shore power (i.e. any time the air conditioner is needed).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Time2roll - 1200AHr Li bank, NICE (and $$$). Li have lower internal resistance than my lifelineโ€™s (which are lower than typical lead acids), but at 140A for a single AC itโ€™s still a struggle (and LOTS of amps) to run an AC very long. My point is that high amperage loads are better served with 120v, itโ€™s a lot easier on all the circuitryโ€ฆand the walletโ€ฆ
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 1200 AH LFP and 2000w GoPower runs cool and easy at 140 amps. Solar would not keep up, so good for one night in transit to utility power.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Running high load 120v devices off of 12v batteries is not as easy as buying a large inverter. I have a Magnum3012RV and 630AHr of Lifeline AGMs. I *can* run an AC off of batteries, but it draws 140A from my batteries (besides startup). Drawing large currents like that heat up interconnects, and even the internal resistance of the Lifelineโ€™s have a 0.5v drop at that current. Solar will replace capacity in the batteries, but at 12v youโ€™re still drawing LARGE currents to run an AC; more than most would recommend for longer than short durations. Lots easier to run AC off of a 120v source, be it shore or genny.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Veebyes,

I'm sure you are aware there are DC air conditioners.

No, but if it heats or cools it sucks power bigtime. That power has to come from somewhere & if it is DC it needs a wicked big battery bank to give any cooling duration.

My first Alpenlite 34RLR 5er had such a battery bank. 6 6V batteries in series parallel. Sad to say, I lost that trailer to a blowover.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
If you are looking to run genset 24/7 for days in a row I agree a genset is your best option. But I also believe there is a huge market of campers that would be happy to have Solar capable A/C for 9 hours a day.
I am looking for hookups as my best option.

Correct if hook ups are available.
Running genset 24/7 gets old in a hurry.
Unless you have no options and you really need electric...other than to watch TV...LOL.
Solar Power is silent, so in the long run many opt for 9 hours of quiet A/C vs. 24/7 of genset A/C with genset noise. For the record the genset noise is shared with your neighbors
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
If you are looking to run genset 24/7 for days in a row I agree a genset is your best option. But I also believe there is a huge market of campers that would be happy to have Solar capable A/C for 9 hours a day.
I am looking for hookups as my best option.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes,

I'm sure you are aware there are DC air conditioners.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There always seems to be an awful lot of confusion between solar power & battery power.

Solar does nothing but provide battery bank charging power, at a low rate unless a very sunny day & a large solar array. Solar does not provide 120VAC.

The generator provides 120VAC which provides power to the converter/charger, or pure charger, which in turn provide much more battery charging power than solar on the best of days. The generator simultaneously provides 120VAC to the rest of the unit the same as being on shore power.

The two are not the same & are not interchangeable.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Solar has it's place but once you want air/con, it's technically possible but not practical.
OK and for many people... running a generator 24/7 to sit inside and stay cool is not practical either.

24/7/365...certainly not.

But when you get 2-3 really hot days, running the air/con to stay cool is a god send. Having to pick 9 hours a day that the solar/battery system can support and being miserable the remaining 15 hours, not so great.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes wrote:
No matter how you slice it the luxury of having A/C is awfully expensive.

Out here in the real world most of us with 5ers seem to get along fine with a 2000W portable inverter genny at less than $1000.00. It does not run the A/C but it does everything else just fine.

You can get an awful lot of CG nights with power for the cost of a built in genny.

$1000 will buy you a dual fuel 4500w Champion Generator with electric start. That will easily run the air/con.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV