Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"I live my life and let others do the same."

I feel the same way, but "My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins." So a person needs to act with the consideration of other people in mind.

That my friend is a lost cause , asking for consideration of other people . just driving the highways tells you that won't happen .

Well, to paraphrase: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of inconsiderate people is for considerate people to do nothing.” [emoticon]

I live close to a small city park, we have a leash law for dogs in that park, you would think it was their private dog park to let them loose to run. Its a bit nerve racking when we walk our dog on a leash there, never know what those dogs will do . I have talked to a few ,politely ,it got me no where , basically mind my own business . I don't bother anymore if the dogs are loose I avoid them . I call animal control now, but they have to be there, and usually they don't get there in time before they have left. So yes I try, but as said it appears to be a lost cause.

Any suggestions on the inconsiderate drivers ?????

* This post was edited 09/27/21 04:03pm by cummins2014 *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO driving is like the internet - you can't control inconsiderate behavior because there is no personal contact to establish an interaction.

For unleashed dogs, I just ask "hey could you grab hold of your dog while we pass? Mine was attacked before and is now afraid of other dogs". They will usually comply, at least until I leave the area.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

It doesn't take learning to figure it out. Just walk past the RV and watch. Does an indoor light go on first? Does the RV move at all? Do you see a face in the window? Does the door open?

If no to all those, then it's likely to be a motion detector light.

And grabbing a cooler, generator, grill, etc, is a quick grab and run. By the time you get out of bed, they're gone with the prize regardless of how the light turned on.

And even if the thief is "startled", they usually come back and try again knowing the light will come on and no one will check it out.

So what you are saying is motion lights will do no good. Say I accept that, exactly what deterrent is a light that is on all the time? Walking, even before I get to site, I can see nobody is outside, spot the grill, map my path to and from, and never be noticed if I decide to pass.
I often sit out in the night while camping. I try not to pay attention to what goes on in other sites out of respect for privacy, but a light comes on/goes off good chance I will look that way. If in that look, I see something leaving the site, it will have my attention, even if it is a racoon with a bag of Wheaties. Somebody walking into the light will not be noticed.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

IMO driving is like the internet - you can't control inconsiderate behavior because there is no personal contact to establish an interaction.

For unleashed dogs, I just ask "hey could you grab hold of your dog while we pass? Mine was attacked before and is now afraid of other dogs". They will usually comply, at least until I leave the area.

I do the same with the dog owners if they show up ,while I'm there, but there are other places to go if there are loose dogs around. I'm with you ,I don't want my young 1 year old dog attacked by another , he loves other dogs, and will play with any of them if he could . I want him to remain the same .

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

This would be a very short lived forum if nobody posted things that others don't care for. The best way around it is to avoid the ones you don't like, problem solved. Works great for me.

I didn’t say one word about not posting topics like this. I block no one, and I read what I want. Until a moderator closes or deletes a topic, all you Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong’s can post up whatever petty panty-twisting nonsense you want.

And I’ll enjoy reading it because it reminds me that things could be a lot worse.

I could be LISTENING to all this whining and crying instead of just reading it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

It doesn't take learning to figure it out. Just walk past the RV and watch. Does an indoor light go on first? Does the RV move at all? Do you see a face in the window? Does the door open?

If no to all those, then it's likely to be a motion detector light.

And grabbing a cooler, generator, grill, etc, is a quick grab and run. By the time you get out of bed, they're gone with the prize regardless of how the light turned on.

And even if the thief is "startled", they usually come back and try again knowing the light will come on and no one will check it out.

So what you are saying is motion lights will do no good. Say I accept that, exactly what deterrent is a light that is on all the time? Walking, even before I get to site, I can see nobody is outside, spot the grill, map my path to and from, and never be noticed if I decide to pass.
I often sit out in the night while camping. I try not to pay attention to what goes on in other sites out of respect for privacy, but a light comes on/goes off good chance I will look that way. If in that look, I see something leaving the site, it will have my attention, even if it is a racoon with a bag of Wheaties. Somebody walking into the light will not be noticed.

I'm not saying a light left on all night will do anything. Again thieves nowadays don't care about lights at all.

My point is simply that lights are not that effective at detering crime - period. A motion detection light that triggers whenever a raccoon or deer rambles by will be ignored - just like the car alarm that goes off (just click the remote and don't even bother checking) or the boy who cried wolf.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unobtanium wrote:

Get a 2M candle power spotlight and return the favor. They may get the hint, or maybe not.

I love your idea and tactic. I have done similar tactics to inconsiderate others. It is fun.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

This would be a very short lived forum if nobody posted things that others don't care for. The best way around it is to avoid the ones you don't like, problem solved. Works great for me.

I didn’t say one word about not posting topics like this. I block no one, and I read what I want. Until a moderator closes or deletes a topic, all you Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong’s can post up whatever petty panty-twisting nonsense you want.

And I’ll enjoy reading it because it reminds me that things could be a lot worse.

I could be LISTENING to all this whining and crying instead of just reading it.

[emoticon][emoticon]
I hate to bust your bubble, but you're doing lots more whinging than anyone else here. Everyone else is talking about how they feel about the problem, you're complaining about that. Now who's whinging?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You clearly have problems with reading comprehension.

And spelling.

Go whing yourself.

[emoticon][emoticon]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL Best do a google search for whinging. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.