Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trinidad CO to Clayton NM (160->389->551->325->64)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trinidad CO to Clayton NM (160->389->551->325->64)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy,

Looking to go around Raton Pass on I25 using the route stated above to go home to Central Texas from Central Colorado after two months. Have the truck and TT in signature. Anybody ever go this route? Will stay the night in Trinidad CO and then head to Amarillo TX for the next night. Third night in Big Spring TX. Also, any recommendations for RV parks for the night in Trinidad, Amarillo, or Big Spring?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all two-lane. Haven't driven that route recently so can't say what condition the roads are in these days. You can spot check them with Street View on Google Maps, but that won't catch small bad stretches unless you're lucky.

I used to live in Trinidad and did Raton pass all the time - just did it recently with a fifth wheel. You've got the Duramax and should have no issues with the pass.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raton Pass is easy (Interstate)and Raton to Clayton is good 4 lane all of the way, much of it pretty new. I see no reason to take your proposed route. I would stay in Raton, then next night in or near Lubbock, then home to Fredericksburg.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are really opposed to passes or have done Raton Pass and don’t want to repeat I would do as IDman suggest. I towed our 5er over Raton Pass going and coming every year 2007 thru 2014 going to CO and back. A bit of a tug as you get near the top but not for long. And good interstate. And Raton to Clayton is good highway.

We always stayed at Fort Amarillo RV on west edge of Amarillo as it was close to restaurants and shopping if needed. But been a few years ago. Many seem to like Oasis RV a little farther west of Amarillo.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we took 160 at Trinidad to bypass Raton pass in our 36' towing. 160 is a narrow road with very little shoulder and hardly any place to pull over. Not a road I'd do again in a large rig. Very remote area.
Raton pass other than the construction just before Raton heading south isn't bad. Easy pass compared to others in Colorado.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in full agreement with those who have said that Raton Pass is one of the "easiest" in the Rockies. I have towed over it more times than I can count, so my remarks are not in relation to the route as I have never gone that way, but regarding campgrounds.

There is not a good campground IN Trinidad that I know of. I have noticed many RV in the Walmart parking lot. Since I always go over the pass, we have most often stayed at the Raton Pass RV Park.

In Amarillo we most often stay at the Overnight RV Park because it is so conveniently located at the intersection of the bypass and I-40 which is the route we take to our home in East Texas, but that might not be as convenient if you are going to Big Spring. The Oasis Campground is west of Amarillo and gets good reviews, though we have never stayed there.

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason I was seeking an alternate route was because the mighty Duramax threw a P087 code on the way here in late July. This code is typically thrown when towing in hot weather and climbing, and could be caused by a few things. I've taken a stab at resolving it with replacement of the fuel pressure relief valve, but won't know if that works until I am towing again in hot weather and climbing. I didn't want to experiment so far from home. I worked around the code and got here ok. Was looking for a flatter route home.
Thanks,
Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trinidad CO to Clayton NM (160->389->551->325->64)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.