cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White fur stain removal

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
How can I remove stains from white fur? Jake has a recurring cyst (not harmful) on his chest that he licks plus he licks his legs. Some of his white fur is now stained reddish brown. Whitening shampoo does not remove it. Any ideas how to whiten it again? I've read all kinds of things about peroxide, cider vinegar, baking soda and other home remedies but would be more comfortable hearing from some of you. I've thought about tear stain remover but I'd have to use a large amount. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
4 REPLIES 4

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Tornado-dog is just 9 months old and has no teeth issues, I think with him it's just more that he has a lot of excess skin and gum tissue at the back of his mouth and food and water tend to dribble. He always comes to give me a kiss after eating and I have to towel down afterwards. I don't have to do that when he gives kisses at other times.

I may try the vinegar as he will try to drink the peroxide.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dturm
Most body fluids stain, saliva, tears, urine... The bacterial component is real and often increases the amount of saliva or tears as well as contributing to the stain.

There are special solutions to use near the eyes, be careful with peroxide.

Peroxide works about as well as anything. You need to be careful to avoid having your dog ingest any.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just throw this out there (and Dr Doug can correct me if my guess is wrong): My Ben had a lot of reddish/brownish staining around his mouth - and then I had his teeth cleaned. Most of the staining has disappeared. I suspect the bacteria from dirty teeth was creating that staining? And wherever the dog licks, that bacteria can multiply?

On edit: if it IS bacteria - peroxide would be a good solution to clean it, provided it's not near eyes?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had dogs with tear staining, but am interested in this as Tornado-dog has staining on the sides of his mouth.

Of the ones most commonly suggested, I think I'd try the apple cider vinegar. Cheap and less likely to cause a problem if he licks it afterwards.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)