cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable connections

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I may have the house battery connected to the chassis battery.

my house furness will run on the chassis battery, Shouldn't it be connected to the House battery bank?

the furness/lights/and refer will run the battery dead over night.

starting with a chassis battery @ 13.4 VDC the chassis will no start the engine in the morning.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
5 REPLIES 5

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Ours had a switch to the left of the Driver's seat, if engine or generator wouldn't start flip it and house batteries would send current to starter.
Without examining the situation I can't tell. Call the Factory advisor or tech lines.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Pull the power plug, gen off, disconnect any solar and disconnect all wires from the li negative post. If the house 12V items still work then someone changed the wiring as very unlikely Newmar would wire it that way and a DC clampon meter would be very useful to isolate the problem.

13.4V on the chassis battery doesn't mean it's charged or any good. Load test it. I'd guess it's being charged by the DC DC converter which is inadequate for enought charge in the time frame for a engine start.

Chassis batteries were just installed. they hold a charge just fine.
No Solar..
The house system is now working, every light in the coach is on, the furness motor is on, and the microwave is cooking dinner...
the Chassis batteries are holding 13.2 VDC for the past 4 hours.

I think it's fixed.
Thanks for the help.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull the power plug, gen off, disconnect any solar and disconnect all wires from the li negative post. If the house 12V items still work then someone changed the wiring as very unlikely Newmar would wire it that way and a DC clampon meter would be very useful to isolate the problem.

13.4V on the chassis battery doesn't mean it's charged or any good. Load test it. I'd guess it's being charged by the DC DC converter which is inadequate for enought charge in the time frame for a engine start.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Sounds like you are correct. Could be that both battery banks are connected together incorrectly, or possibly there is a solenoid that pulls in to connect them together when you push the "AUX" switch on the dash. Sometimes that solenoid gets stuck closed and that will connect both banks together.

The house batteries were never joined.

There is no solenoid between the house and the chassis. there is no boosted start any longer.
the house batteries are lithium and the chassis are lead acid, this system must have a DC to DC charger separating them.

I simply have the house system on the wrong battery..

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are correct. Could be that both battery banks are connected together incorrectly, or possibly there is a solenoid that pulls in to connect them together when you push the "AUX" switch on the dash. Sometimes that solenoid gets stuck closed and that will connect both banks together.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog