cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear axel ratio for E-450 176" WB?

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what the rear axel ratio is for our Entegra Odyssey 24B it's on a 14,500# GVWR chassis with a GCWR of 22,000#. It is supposed to have a Dana rear axel, but no specific ratio is listed in any of the specs. None of the stickers appear to have an axel code on them.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
7 REPLIES 7

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beverley&Ken wrote:
Hi Pnichols I did see that website, but I also found another fordtrucks..., site that listed the 83 axle for the E450 dually as a Dana with the 4.56 gears. It does seen strange/confusing that there appear to be two different axles with the "83" label. I'm quite sure that mine has the Dana with 4.56.

Ken

Yeah ... I saw a lot of confusing info when doing my research. I noticed that the same number designator was often used for different Ford vehicle models ... so "83" may not have been a particular unique differential type used in Econoline E450 models.

For instance, in that link I posted above the 83 number says in the far right column that it's what's used in an F350. How closely is an F350 related to an E450 such that the same differential would be used for the two different weight classes?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Pnichols I did see that website, but I also found another fordtrucks..., site that listed the 83 axle for the E450 dually as a Dana with the 4.56 gears. It does seen strange/confusing that there appear to be two different axles with the "83" label. I'm quite sure that mine has the Dana with 4.56.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
All E450 gas motors have 4.56 gears. Itโ€™s a modified Dana 80 axle, with 10.75โ€ gears since 2007.

Well ... either me, or Ford, or internet posters ... are confused!

I always thought (from an earlier spec I no longer can find) that the Ford 2005 E450 cutaway chassis under my 24 ft. Class C had a 4:56.1 ratio differential in it. It sure pulls like it going up grades and when crawling along on rough dirt roads.

HOWEVER, my door sicker shows a rear axle code of "83" and per this chart the ratio is - 4:30.1! What is going on anyway?:
https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/identify-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the inside of the driverโ€™s door jamb, ours is just above the door latch. It is an โ€˜officialโ€™ FORD sticker for an incomplete motor vehicle. Lots of information on it for that particular chassis VIN number, Axle rating, tires that were originally installed, tire pressure for each axle as rated.
The bottom line, middle gives the axle code as installed by Ford, you will have Google Ford axle โ€œ83โ€™ (my unit) for the specs.
It also gives the original Ford wheel base, in MY case it is 158โ€, Winnebago extended ours to 195โ€ and also extended the frame at the rear.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All E450 gas motors have 4.56 gears. Itโ€™s a modified Dana 80 axle, with 10.75โ€ gears since 2007.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Google is your friend. Search:

"2022 Ford E-450 Stripped Chassis specifications"

They should be the same for 2021.

Chum lee

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's either 4.10 or 4.56; I think the E450's come with the 4.56 axle ratio as standard, and quite possibly don't have any other options for the ratio. A limited slip differential is an available option (that I would guess you do not have).