cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Radial Tire Valve Core Failures

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
My front radial tires are Toyo 245/75R 22.5.

When checking air pressure (105 pounds), I occasionally have the cores fail which allows air to escape dramatically, and I need to scramble to get the cap back on the valve stem on or replace the cores. This time I took it to Les Schwab Tires for them to check air pressures and to replace the valve cores. Both front tire valve cores had failed.

This seems to happen about every 6 months. Does anyone else have this issue. They said that it is common with high pressure tires?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L
17 REPLIES 17

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar experience with Les Schwab. If they used beads to balance the tires, there are special valve cores which must be used. I was stuck at a roadside stop because I couldn't get air in one of the tires and rescued by a trucker who was familiar with the problem. I went to a shop that specialized in truck tires and had all tbe valve cores changed. If the original cores are used, beads get inside the core and it won't retract so the air escapes.
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
Although I have not had a valve core failure, I have had 4 of the six valve stems leak and while trying to tighten the nut to stop the leak, the threads strip out.
All of these valve stems are from Les Schwab. Cheap Chinese junk is what they sell.

I have had nothing but bad luck with their products and in my hometown store, horrible workmanship.
No more Les Schwab for me.

shoot me if you see me in a les schwab store. i would be completely out of my mind if i was even close to one

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We did a bead balance one time and had this problem. Replacing the valve stems will not solve anything IMHO. WE just lived with it. But relied on the TPMS to tell us when it was time put air in the tires.

Pangaea Ron wrote:
My front radial tires are Toyo 245/75R 22.5.

When checking air pressure (105 pounds), I occasionally have the cores fail which allows air to escape dramatically, and I need to scramble to get the cap back on the valve stem on or replace the cores. This time I took it to Les Schwab Tires for them to check air pressures and to replace the valve cores. Both front tire valve cores had failed.

This seems to happen about every 6 months. Does anyone else have this issue. They said that it is common with high pressure tires?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Although I have not had a valve core failure, I have had 4 of the six valve stems leak and while trying to tighten the nut to stop the leak, the threads strip out.
All of these valve stems are from Les Schwab. Cheap Chinese junk is what they sell.

I have had nothing but bad luck with their products and in my hometown store, horrible workmanship.
No more Les Schwab for me.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had the left front wheel assy valve core come loose in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Chased down a Sap On Dealer to buy vale core tool to tighten it up.
I don't remember if the G670 tires were well balanced or not.
Cores that are inferior(cheap)may be the problem, as it was with the Chinese valve stems that caused the failure of all four tires on ourF150.
Other than that, out-of-balance sounds reasonable as a cause, without any real experience on the subject.
In my 73 years that one experience is the only one.
When we replaced the front or steer axle tires with Michelin "steer axle" tires with decoupling groves on the edge and center groove. It took 1/4 ounce of weight on one wheel and 0 as in none, on the other wheel.This on 285x22.5 tires and wheels. Outstanding! And the ride was smooth with more flexible sidewalls and in balance.
I have no idea how to identify a quality valve core but would question where you buy the next ones.
*Bad spec valve cores, the more likely or possibly metal valve stems, think is the problem. Everyone, that is the Tire sales places tend to buy all the same, cheap and the same brand.
If this is the case the problem will emerge over some time and the Dealers who sold and installed them will face big problems in reputation, and claims possibly including injury and death from wrecks.
This is one reason I check the tires with a laser pointed temp gun every stop, and the tire pressures checked and adjusted before we headed out. Checking tire pressure was a challenge for me, to get accurate readings so It was done by mgr where we stored it and at shops along the way if thought it needed.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Years ago, some of the big tire chains had millions of faulty Tire cores causing your exact problem. I wonder if your tire store somehow got hold of some of those old bad Cores. Doug

PS, the purchasing agent made a GREAT DEAL.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Iโ€™m thinking you are over the valve cores max pressure. And why 105? Have you weighed the MH? Iโ€™m certain you donโ€™t need to run over 80 psi. I run 75 per Michelinโ€™s pressure/weight chart. My rear axle I run at 95 per the chart.

105 is the recommended pressure. I bought a new compressor to achieve that.

I doubt your 08 is heavier than mine. Unless you had it weighed 105 is too high.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue at times. I will bet you have balancing beads in your tires and dust from them gets into the valve cores and holds them open. You need to give them a shot of new air before trying to check pressure to clear out the debris and let the cores to close. You should not rely on valve stem caps to hold pressure in your tires. There are valve stems with screens that are made to keep particles out of the valve cores that you can have installed to fix the problem. Or, you can just give them a shot of air before checking pressure to make them work properly. Good luck-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that I have received low pressure cores? I'll verify that I now have the high pressure ones.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hate drama when I am only checking tire pressure. There are many more things to be concerned about!
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Iโ€™m thinking you are over the valve cores max pressure. And why 105? Have you weighed the MH? Iโ€™m certain you donโ€™t need to run over 80 psi. I run 75 per Michelinโ€™s pressure/weight chart. My rear axle I run at 95 per the chart.

105 is the recommended pressure. I bought a new compressor to achieve that.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I run my Toyo tires at 90 psi. I'm weighing in at 21,200 pounds GVW.
You did not say whether you have extenders. I do, and would not be happy without them. That being said, I had a tire installer put a nylon stem on my prior Coachmen, and it got spit out like a watermelon seed.
Long way around to ask why so much pressure?
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the same cores since 2013, 110psi.
-jbh-

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect your tires have some sort of balancing stuff in them, causing the cores to not fully close.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run 105 also on the same size tire but I have never had a valve core failure.