Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I'm actually in favor of high cancelation fees....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> I'm actually in favor of high cancelation fees....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 03:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly the people who ran out and bought a $80K truck and a $125K 5er because RVs are "in" but don't know how to turn the water on have the $200 to throw away. Repeatedly.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been an issue for decades with state parks.

I remember as a kid people would take the RV up on Wed/Thur to get a site (before reservations) then go home and work thru Friday. Eventually, the parks caught on and required someone to stay overnight if the site was occupied.

Unlike a private campground where the manager can change the rules tomorrow...being a public entity and the reservation system assigned by competitive contract, if the reservation system meets contract rules, there is nothing that can be done easily until the contract runs out. If the reservation company is happy because they get all these change fees, they aren't going to push for changes to the rules and if the parks are at a high occupancy level, there is no money in it...the result is little inertia to fix it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why have "cancellation fees"? Why not just pay for what you've reserved?

If you can't make it, then you can't make it. Why should a business (or state park) give you the campground fee back?

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have accepted that "gaming" the system is not going away regardless of penalties imposed. There will always be someone who does not care about the impact of their gaming the system and reserving blocks that they know they will not use.

It helps level the playing field some to know when the reservation window(s) open on the various reservation systems. Recreation.gov system for USFS and National Parks (for the ones locally that I want to reserve), the window opens 180 days prior to the date one wants, at 10am Eastern time/8am in Mountain time. For ReserveAmerica.com, the system for all Colorado State Parks, the window is also 180 days, but the time is at the stroke of midnight on that 180th day for Mountain time. I had to look through all of the fine print at the CPW website to find that information; I had wondered about that, thinking that it was also 8am mountain time for Colorado State Parks. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to reserve spots at the stroke of 8am when I should have stayed up and done it at the stroke of midnight.

Not going to solve the core problem of this discussion topic, but does give a bit of advantage in knowing and using the exact times that the scammers are using.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get frustrated, too. I can't begin to tell how many sites I see vacant in FL state and local parks for days at a time, and yet its difficult to reserve sites. Perhaps someone smarter than me can find a solution.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I miss the days of a spur of the moment weekend trip being an easy thing to do. I've had pretty good luck finding cancelations, but I hate the uncertainty.

Should they put in something like if you cancel 3 times in 12 months, you can't make another reservation of 6 months? I hate to say it, but I'm not sure if the financial penalty would bother that many people.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Ohio state parks you cant do that scam anymore since they caught on. You cannot cancel part of your reservation its either all or nothing.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Why have "cancellation fees"? Why not just pay for what you've reserved?

If you can't make it, then you can't make it. Why should a business (or state park) give you the campground fee back?

I suspect the main reason is that, without any refund for cancellation, people who cannot make their reservation for whatever reason just won't show up without calling the park or anything, and there's no possible way for their site to be used by someone else. If they do cancel, the campground may be able to find someone to actually use the site.

I guess for a commercial campground, if people are willing to pay for and not use your facilities, that's more profit than if they pay for and use them. For a public park, however, there's usually some understanding if not actual verbiage in their mission or charter that they are there to provide public access to nature and recreation, so enabling as many people as practical to use the facilities is part of the expectation.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

In the Ohio state parks you cant do that scam anymore since they caught on. You cannot cancel part of your reservation its either all or nothing.

That^^^ is probably a simple way to close the loophole.
If you truly need to cancel than you have no choice and you will understand the policy.
If you are taking advantage of the system then that loophole has been closed

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonder why it is that RVnet campers can figure out a solution, but campgrounds cannot.

That solution above will work wonders - cancel all days, or no days. If you cancel all days xxxx number of days or weeks ahead, you get a refund. If not, no refund. That will work very well until the cheaters figure out a way to cheat that too.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> I'm actually in favor of high cancelation fees....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.