Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavy Class C Tire thoughts

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All!

I've had some tire issues in the past so ready to try something different. I have been running toyo's forever out of convenience.

I was planning on going with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires but I see these Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires. They are about the same price. So wondering if they are better.

Also I see the XPS Rib which is a fair bit more but if it means no tire issues, I'm in!

Or if there are some higher weight capacity tires I'm missing please fill me in.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)
40 REPLIES 40

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holiday27 wrote:
Michelin's installed today. Very happy so far. Drove about 5 miles so not a great test but felt smooth. Install went well except the tire shop missed the locating pin the first time so rear wheel was on crooked. They were pretty embarrassed but got it fixed quickly...

Tires are made in France FYI. Makes sense since they are a euro rated tire technically.

Glad I replaced them as some of the tires were coming close to the pull date and right before I took it in I noticed a split on the sidewall of the passenger outer dual.

Those Agilis C-metric look beefy. The sidewall โ€˜For DOT test and normal highway use in North Americaโ€™ seems unusual. What about driving on gravel? Any roadtrips yet?
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin's installed today. Very happy so far. Drove about 5 miles so not a great test but felt smooth. Install went well except the tire shop missed the locating pin the first time so rear wheel was on crooked. They were pretty embarrassed but got it fixed quickly...

Tires are made in France FYI. Makes sense since they are a euro rated tire technically.

Glad I replaced them as some of the tires were coming close to the pull date and right before I took it in I noticed a split on the sidewall of the passenger outer dual.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Previous RV's

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
For the E350 and E450 chassis.

CLICK HERE for Michelin's extra capacity "E" rated tire. (500-600 pounds more per tire compared to the standard "E" rated tire)

CLICK HERE for Michelin's standard "E" rated tire.

Yep, the first link are the ones I got. Discount matched Costco's price which was awesome!

Previous RV's

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
For the E350 and E450 chassis.

CLICK HERE for Michelin's extra capacity "E" rated tire. (500-600 pounds more per tire compared to the standard "E" rated tire)

CLICK HERE for Michelin's standard "E" rated tire.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
That's what I ordered as well. Wednesday.

Nice! Hopefully we have a winner.

Previous RV's

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's what I ordered as well. Wednesday.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
Those the lt or c version?

C, load index 121 :B

Previous RV's

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those the lt or c version?

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires on order for install so I'll keep you posted... @$1358 seems pretty fair.

Previous RV's

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
One of our members switched to the following tire.

The LT235/85/16E is 3040#. It fits the OEM wheels that the 225 75 16 rolls on and at a little over one inch in diameter larger will offer you about 1/2โ€ more ground clearance while fitting the wheel wells. Seems to me to be a good option bc it offers two advantages over the stock LT225 75 16E.

I think the only issue with those would be that they might touch on the duals. Mine are very close at the 225 size.

I have a friend that did that as well. He purchased some BFG traction tires. They were pretty beefy and I remember they didn't touch on his 28ft bigfoot, no slides but still a pretty heavy rig.

Previous RV's

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is all food info. I have a thor 23u want to carry my ktm 790r 470 lbs bike on back. All specs match, extra distance from hitch indicated about 1083 lbs put on back axle. Weighed at scale shows 8990 on back axels 3270 front. Well within spec. Factory tires got real hot last trip at 80 psi . I could smell em.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our members switched to the following tire.

The LT235/85/16E is 3040#. It fits the OEM wheels that the 225 75 16 rolls on and at a little over one inch in diameter larger will offer you about 1/2โ€ more ground clearance while fitting the wheel wells. Seems to me to be a good option bc it offers two advantages over the stock LT225 75 16E.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/michelinloadandinflationrvtruck.pdf
But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

So what Load Range do you think it is? It says right in the table it is an LRE.

... But tire retailers aren't quite this savvy, so they fall back on what is familiar - Load Ranges - and label these C type tires with Load Ranges (incorrectly!)

I hope that explains things.

It is not just tire retailers that call the C-Metric tire a Load Range E. Michelin themselves market the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 225/75-R16C LRE as a Load Range E:
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/AGILIS_CROSSCLIMATE_B2B_product_sheet.pdf
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/michelinloadandinflationrvtruck.pdf
But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

So what Load Range do you think it is? It says right in the table it is an LRE.

Perhaps I can explain this.

First, whemme is mostly right, but he could have worded it better.

But RambleOnNW is sort of right, too - and he also could have worded it better.

What is going on here is the difference between tire standardizing organizations. Whemme is referring to LT tires (US based standard) and what RambleonNW is referring to are C type tires (European based standard). They use the same number for the tire dimensions, but they use different formulae to figure out the load carrying capacity.

Technically, LT tries (US standard) come in Load Ranges, while C type tires (Euro standard) come in Load Indices (not load ranges). But tire retailers aren't quite this savvy, so they fall back on what is familiar - Load Ranges - and label these C type tires with Load Ranges (incorrectly!)

I hope that explains things.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com