cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Desert Riding Season here yet?

dedmiston
The heydays of the Toy Hauler Forum are definitely a thing of the past now, but there are still a handful of old-timers around.

Is anybody around today who attended any of the So Cal Rallies? We had yearly rallies starting in 2004 until our group got too big and the BLM told us they'd shut us down the following year if we didn't have permits and portable toilets.

After that, we still kept the tradition alive with the "Notta Rallies" (they were "not a rally") for another five years or so. Those were some great years.

Those rallies signified the official start of the riding season every Veterans Day, and then we'd ride through April or May depending on the heat.

So is anybody heading out to the desert to ride yet? It's pretty early in the season, but we're itchy to get out and get together with our bigger groups. We haven't seen most of our group since the start of COVID. Folks are eager to go out, so we'll go sweat and choke on the smoke from the wildfires.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
17 REPLIES 17

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
Heading to Teagle Wash this weekend, son's birthday, camping on pipeline. Viewfinders flag will be flying. Checker's race at Charlies Place Saturday but we're not racing.

It should be perfect out there this weekend. Have fun.

We're putting together a couple trips a few weeks from now. I think we'll be out there the weekends before and after Veterans Day. Instead of going back and forth, I'll probably just stay out there for the week and work remotely from the trailer. I'll probably head close to the hills overlooking Ridgecrest (right across from Wagon Wheel) to get a good data connection on the hotspot.

Funny, I was just in that exact spot Friday afternoon for the same reason. I was trying to transfer Stones tickets. Finally had to drive into Ridgecrest and hook up at the hospital wifi to make it happen, what a PTIA. Gorgeous weather though, great weekend.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
Heading to Teagle Wash this weekend, son's birthday, camping on pipeline. Viewfinders flag will be flying. Checker's race at Charlies Place Saturday but we're not racing.

It should be perfect out there this weekend. Have fun.

We're putting together a couple trips a few weeks from now. I think we'll be out there the weekends before and after Veterans Day. Instead of going back and forth, I'll probably just stay out there for the week and work remotely from the trailer. I'll probably head close to the hills overlooking Ridgecrest (right across from Wagon Wheel) to get a good data connection on the hotspot.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
TRIPLE8 wrote:
It's here, just spent a great weekend in the Randsburg area.

Nice. I'm having some mechanical issues, but we're on track for three trips in November in the same area.

Where do you like to go near Randsburg? And do you ever ride into town for night rides? They have pretty epic burritos at The Joint if you ask nicely. It's a fun trip into town for dinner.
Hi, we are normally off of 20 mule on the west side of 395. Love the Joint been there several times.
We usually just have food delivered from next door. Really don't get out for night rides usually just hanging out by the fire.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
They have pretty epic burritos at The Joint if you ask nicely.

I'm almost afraid to ask, what type of burritos you get if you don't ask nicely? Day old Taco Bell? 😉
Gonna have to try it next time.
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07

dedmiston
Y-Guy wrote:
LOL Dave, I gotcha now. I swear all the locals bar have a cranky barmaid - A former cranky barmaid works for me, heart of gold but a big side of attitude if you come at her wrong 😉

Maybe you look like a narc too. :B

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
LOL Dave, I gotcha now. I swear all the locals bar have a cranky barmaid - A former cranky barmaid works for me, heart of gold but a big side of attitude if you come at her wrong 😉

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dedmiston
Y-Guy wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

I'm almost afraid to ask, what type of burritos you get if you don't ask nicely? Day old Taco Bell? 😉

There's a cranky barmaid there who you have to BEG for a stinking burrito.

"We aren't a restaurant. We're a bar, and we don't serve food."

"Then what do you use all those microwaves for and why is your freezer full of the burritos that I'm about to buy?"

It's a fun destination for a night ride, but it's really a locals bar and it takes a while to gain their trust. Maybe we look like narcs.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
dedmiston wrote:

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dedmiston
TRIPLE8 wrote:

Nice. I'm having some mechanical issues, but we're on track for three trips in November in the same area.

Where do you like to go near Randsburg? And do you ever ride into town for night rides? They have pretty epic burritos at The Joint if you ask nicely. It's a fun trip into town for dinner.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I have a toyhauler more or less ready to go.

Almost finished harvest work.

Love campin in the desert.

But I present myself at the US border to cross legally so no can do at the moment.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Never did the rallies, we are more of a 3-8 trailer type of family. Our group is down to 2 families now would love to hook up with others.

I am going to Kennedy Meadows next weekend and then might do OW Halloween weekend, your welcome to join.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Dune season is right around the corner!!!!
Once highs get closer to 90, I am there!!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail