Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: $135k for a very basic camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> $135k for a very basic camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Poor choice of names if you ask me.

At over $100K, that’s the exact opposite of low-key.

low-key
lo'ke'
adjective
Having low intensity; restrained, as in style or quality; subdued.
Having or producing uniformly dark tones with few areas of contrast, as in a photograph or film.
restrained in style or quality; not flashy or intense; understated.

Nope, not any of those things.

[emoticon][emoticon]

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

low-key
lo'ke'
adjective
Having or producing uniformly dark tones with few areas of contrast, as in a photograph or film.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Honestly, I was thinking more of Loki, the trickster God of Norse Mythology, given its spelt the same way [emoticon].

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previous thread with additional comments. https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30246322.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

low-key
lo'ke'
adjective

[emoticon][emoticon]

Honestly, I was thinking more of Loki, the trickster God of Norse Mythology, given its spelt the same way [emoticon].

Wait…..…what???
Nooooo! That’s too obvious!
It was word play, I’m sure of it!
The very similar spelling (some might argue it’s exactly the same) is just an artifact of their clever reverse brand-image marketing strategy!

Guess I shoulda put that winkey-face icon on my post after all. [emoticon] [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jimh425 wrote:

Previous thread with additional comments

....yeah. That is a Post I had started. My thoughts in the end were, "They are positioning into the "expedition overlanding" cohort it appears. Competing directly with truck campers like OverlandEx here--> where pop-up truck campers start at $72,000 CAD. And competing with truck camper expedition manufacturers like Nimbl pop-up ($121,000 with flatbed tray without truck)....and many others. Buyers seem to be lined up around the block to buy them...all".

I was viewing 3 Youtuber's channels, as they filmed their walk-around of the previous overland expos. I was gobsmacked at how many new mini popup truck camper manufacturers there are. I think at last count 16 ? Most of those tiny popups (not all) were starting in the $40,000 to $56,000 USD range.

I remember when we bought our Outfitter, we paid in the $14,000 USD range for it brand new! Our Outfitter is far and a way larger (inside and out) than those $50 to $72 CAD grand popup expedition truck campers and we have many more options. That was 16 years ago, and our camper (and, 17 year old truck) is/are still in extremely good shape today

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot and Northern Lite are the best thing going these days if you want a reasonably well-built camper without trouble and leak prone slide-outs.
For the price of a Loki you can get one AND a brand new diesel truck to put it on.
And it’s a better camper anyway.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are building these one off, basically a custom unit. If the quality of construction is decent, then the price is about what you are going to have to pay for the hours put in. Plan is not my cup to tea, but:

If you are going to pay custom built prices, why not have one built the way you want it? The answer is that the people buying these have neither the imagination nor the experience to do so. Yeah that is a broad brush but I think generally the case.

Campers do not lend themselves very well to mass production, or one might get decent quality for a reasonable price. They compete primarily on price, so the road to a competitive unit is to reduce the build cost, and that means cheaper materials and mainly, cheaper labor. The result is predicable and can be seen on any RV lot.

So Kudos to them for finding a market for something different, but for $100K + I can have exactly what I want, built exactly how I want it. And the Loki isn't it.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"FINDING a market?"

I think they're still LOOKING for a market.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, wow thats a lot. but go to the actual website read ablut it. the fram is all large format alumum "c channel that is fully welded, the outer skin is thick fully welded alumium plate, not thin siding. they achieved a "true" R16 insulation so it is better inslulated than older houses. the design focused on aero dynamics to reduce parasidic drag when driving and get better milage. this one is built with the intention of you never having to replace it in your life time, so is it worth more nonty that the ones that cost 50K and are having issues within 5 years and most people font keep more than 6 years? personaly 135Cdn is a little expensive for me, but if it was a 10 to 11 foot model maybe sell the 40 foot 5th wheel now that the kids are gone and just have a indestructible well insulated true 4 season camper..... its somthing to think about anyways. especialy when we have no issue paying 50000.00 for junk....

I will admidt I do like the fact that you can use the normal door, or lift the whole back wall like a suv hatch back if it is nice in the summer and use your tailgate as extra space.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

the fram is all large format alumum "c channel that is fully welded, the outer skin is thick fully welded alumium plate, not thin siding. they achieved a "true" R16 insulation so it is better inslulated than older houses. the design focused on aero dynamics to reduce parasidic drag when driving and get better milage. this one is built with the intention of you never having to replace it in your life time,

....all very valid points on the build materials. I would add that I saw a French Youtube vid of a guy in Quebec that bought a unit, and was showing the incomprehensibly-well-built windows that are going into this unit. I don't know where Lokki is sourcing these windows, but the cost must be in the $1000+ rage for each. Also, have a look at the exterior roof superstructure covering every square inch of roof (allowing only the air conditioner and walk-through glass roof-access hatch to protrude through). That superstructure could cost in the $5000+ range (based on what I've seen the European ActionMobile global expedition living units options are, and the cost).

If this thing could be priced in the say, $80k USD range with basic necessities included, I think that would be more palatable to me personally. But getting these hand-built units into that price range would entail manufacturing a uniform camper "shell" on a production line, and only THEN starting the cost escalation based on "custom options". So, say that (seemingly) indestructible shell only at $60k USD and then adding personal $$$$$ options. Heck, you could add incineration toilets, hydronic zonal heating, 12 to 18 kilowatt electric automobile lithium battery systems, FLIR radar, a roof-top drone aerodrome for a Mavic 2 Enterprise, heated exoskeleton to melt off ice from ice storms.....now you are at $135k......and with options, the sky's the limit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> $135k for a very basic camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.