cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

interstate 40 from New York to Las Vegas

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
Usually leave to go cross country in January so we take 10 across. This year we are leaving late October early November so I was looking at taking 40 across. We will be staying in the 5 th wheel on the overnights. Anybody see any problems with this route?
18 REPLIES 18

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Interesting as I usually carry cash and sometimes a lot of it as I don't like credit cards.

For over 100 years, war has tore off pieces of the Constitution for some people. (Look up laws passed around WW1, and the treatment of Japanese, WW2)
The "War on Drugs" convinced many we had to accept many restrictions. Then we where told "They hate us for our freedom" implies we must give up even more.
Like I said, 50 years ago the Constitution had so many amendments I could not keep them straight. But now, 1 must be protected at all cost, but the others? More likely to be punished for pointing out violation then passing laws that violate.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge on 40 at Memphis has reopened. I see no issues with your route aside from the usual construction areas in most every state. Plenty of campgrounds along the way to stop at too.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting as I usually carry cash and sometimes a lot of it as I don't like credit cards. Also those tag readers, friend and his family from SC were on the way to a wedding in there car and were stopped in Baltimore on a hot day and asked where his gun was. He told them it was home in his safe which prompted the police to make them get out of the car while they searched for the gun. After an hour in the hot sun they were let go but were told that the tag reader at the tunnel had somehow indicated that he had a concealed carry permit at home and it was not honored in MD....Big brother is watching us!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
docsouce wrote:
So...If for some reason law enforcement decides to check out the interior of my RV and find the cash I keep handy, maybe $500, for emergency or whatever use, they can confiscate it??

In a word, Yes. Now you can go to court, and if you can prove that you did not get that cash illegally, you can get it back.
People are, in theory innocent until proven guilty. OTOH, cash is assumed guilty in many areas.
Some localities, in hopes of preventing abuse, pass laws requiring the money,(and what they get from sale of property) must go into general fund, not to department budget. (Don't think the LEOs are ever allowed to keep) The DEA came back with the idea, make it a federal case, and we will kick back most of the CAF to department. But in those cases there might not be a conviction but at least charges are filed.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
So...If for some reason law enforcement decides to check out the interior of my RV and find the cash I keep handy, maybe $500, for emergency or whatever use, they can confiscate it??
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeDupont wrote:
Lots of states do that, unfortunately. I've read a lot of that occurs on I-10 in LA.

Yes, it is a nationwide problem. Years back, when the head of Kansas HP, addressing National Press Club, was asked how budget cuts would effect HP. "With the recent change in Co laws, we will be watching all eastbound out of state traffic real close. Any traffic stop has a chance of windfall for the department"
About the same time period, the head of DEA told NPC the network of plate readers would likely do little to slow the flow of drugs, but would increase CAF.
Anybody remember that religious band that was collecting money for charity, was stopped in OK? There was enough outrage on social media that it was picked up on NPR. I suspect the department was in fear of more investigation by press, so gave back the money.
I had personal close call with Tenn, and have met 2 people that lost money to that state, so I suggest nobody carry cash in that state.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of states do that, unfortunately. I've read a lot of that occurs on I-10 in LA.

dedmiston
JRscooby wrote:
While making sure the old Pete was safe to drive, LEO found the bank envelope, with the cash and withdraw slip under my mattress.

And did they determine your mattress was safe?

That's really creepy. Thanks for sharing. And yes, that's a good reason to watch your back in that state.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Do not carry cash in Tennessee.

Why?

Any explanation would likely ruffle the red feathers on the moderators. Bet if you look at Civil Asset Forfeiture/I 40/Tennessee you might get the idea.
Years back, I contracted to spot a trailer of Red Cross supplies in Fla as hurricane prep. The plan was (and it worked) I would drop the trailer, ahead of storm, and bobtail home. Knowing plans don't always work I stopped at bank, withdrew enough cash to feed me and the Cat for a few days. On the way back, in Tennessee I was stopped for a random roadside safety check. While making sure the old Pete was safe to drive, LEO found the bank envelope, with the cash and withdraw slip under my mattress. That LEO, had to check with his sergeant, who had to call up COC, to decide if I could carry that cash home.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Two basic rules I am sure most kno0w...... When the Eway goes to 3 lanes stay in the middle one as folks entering and leaving will tighten up the first lane.
2. anytime going through a large city hop behind a big boy and drive. Semis do this trip very often so following them is a good thing. When the road goes back to 2 lanes ... drive on.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only speak of recent experience on the stretch between Flagstaff and Amarillo. Expect numerous construction zones and lane closures. The road is in pretty bad condition especially the right lane.

Often you will see more 18 wheelers than cars. The big rig drivers are for the most part professionals trying to make a living. The problem with them arises on the steep hills when they slow down and stack up. A faster driving big rig or RV slowly passing others will cause some real slowdowns. You often have to drive with your eyes focused a half mile ahead so you don't get pinned in the right lane.

The most dangerous thing on the road are the cars driven by impatient jack rabbits weaving in and out of traffic and the idiots that don't know how to use a turn signal. Make sure you are driving rested and alert.

Good luck and be safe!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Do not carry cash in Tennessee.

Why?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cash works good in TN so why would you suggest to not carry it?

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd go zippity doodah to St Louis. In St Louis pick up I-44 to Oklahoma City. In OKC pickup I-40 and head west.

New York to I-40 has tons of options. Personally I'd cross the Mississippi River above Memphis, do not go through Memphis.

If the weather is good I might take I-70 through Denver and cross into Utah. In Utah get on I-15 and head south to Lost Wages NV. If the weather is not good, wintertime weather, I HATE driving I-70 from Denver going west. NO way I am going to put tire chains on. Eisenhower is good but the weather gets rough in the wintertime. Yeah Colorado does a good job snow plowing but I just don't want to mess with it. If you decide to go through Denver make sure the weather is good, then run it straight through to Grand Junction, don't dilly dally and stop and have the weather turn on you. If you're in Denver and the weather forecast goes bad, take I-25 south to Albuquerque and I-40.

Best wishes to you, good luck.