cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for Tow Bar Setups

spur0701
Explorer
Explorer
New guy here. Have a 2014 Overland that I want to tow behind an RV and am looking for anyone that might have lessons learned or recommendations for tow bar or considerations when getting it installed....or even considerations on towing. Did a search but didn't come with up anything. Am currently looking at https://nsatowbars.com/. Still looking at the exact RV but in any event it will be a larger class C or smaller Class A and the ones we've look at so far have the towing capacity necessary. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve used several versions of road master tow bars and brackets,
Winnebago Access 24V

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with our system below. If you're handy, there's likely a youtube video on how to install the base plate on the 2014. I also found a video on installing the brake light wiring using the Roadmaster with diodes wiring kit.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Duane
Explorer
Explorer
Spur,

We just recently purchased a 2019 GC Overland. Since I already have a tow bar and a brake box, all I had to do was purchase the base plate and light wiring for the Jeep.

The tow bar I use is the Demco Excali-bar 3 and Demco baseplate. For braking I have been using the RVi-3. I chose these compnents because I also tow a 2008 Chevy Silverado pick-up. I have been more than pleased with all of these components, and have installed them all, including the parts for the Jeep myself. If you have tools and are somewhat handy, the job is not too bad.

For tail light wiring, I purchased kits that allowed me to plug into the systems on the truck and the Jeep without having to splice into any of the factory wires.

If you have any specific questions, let me know...
Duane & Claudine Miller
Raleigh, NC

2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M

spur0701
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Have you confirmed your overland can be towed 4 down?
X2

Be aware that it's heavy, my 6 cyl is 5,200 lbs. More noticable than our prior CRV.

I know it's heavy at about 5k lbs, but it's either that or the wife's BMW X5, which weighs the same or more.....or buy something else to tow, which is not out of the question in the future if it's a big issue.

I've confirmed it's towable 4 down.

Thanks for the advice.........

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
Have you confirmed your overland can be towed 4 down?
X2

Be aware that it's heavy, my 6 cyl is 5,200 lbs. More noticable than our prior CRV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
You might as well buy direct from the manufacture and save some coin. https://www.readybrake.com/store/c2/Aluminum_Tow_Bars.html

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have you confirmed your overland can be towed 4 down? I think it depends on transmission.

When we had our MH we towed our CRV using Ready brute elite tow bars with blue ox base plates. What I loved most about the ready brute elite is that they have an integrated mechanical brake. No need to worry about another brake system and it's cable actuated so less failure or malfunction opportunities.

FWIW, we no longer have our MH and I still have the bars, pins, cables etc I would be willing to sell at a considerable discount. We just don't need them anymore. PM me if interested.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS