cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATWOOD WATER HEATER WON'T SHUT OFF

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Got an '05 Trail Cruiser, 6 gallon HWT took a long time to get hot so replaced the propane valve. Now I have a nice hot powerful flame. Now it won't seem to shut off the flame even after 1/2 hour and the water is really really hot. So replaced the two thermostats. Still won't shut the flame off. Now what?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
6 REPLIES 6

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
My last campers water heater didn't have a mixing valve and it shut off at around 120F. My Airstream's Attwood does have a mixing valve on the water heater outlet I think it runs up to around 180F before it shuts off. I'm told the idea is a 6 gallon water heater with a mixing valve that heats the water hotter will give you the equivalent supply of a much larger water heater.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Check the water temp with a thermometer. "Water got really hot" is not very specific. RV water heaters get significantly hotter than the water heater in your home.

A 6 gallon tank will take about 30 minutes to heat up a tank full. A little longer would not be surprising.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the burner is lit, try pulling one of the wires off the propane valve.

If the burner continues to run, the valve is sticking - and defective.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Verify the two thermostats are in physical contact with the water tank so they can measure the actual temperature.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Probably would help if you posted the model # of the water heater.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Start by verifing wiring. Could be ECO and thermostat wires are backward.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker