cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting my research

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
So, a few years ago I sold my pop-up. While I loved the pop-up my parents had when I was a teen (in the 80's), my middle aged body didn't exactly love putting up a pop-up by myself. My middle aged, diabetic bladder also likes the idea of travelling with my own, ready to go, bathroom... just find a place to stop.

Originally, my idea was that, when I was ready, I'd get a motorhome instead of a trailer this time. However, now I'm thinking a lightweight trailer or a hybrid may be the way to go.

When the outdoors and camping IS my entire vacation, I'll take a tent. For me, camping in a camper is about an addition to the experience, not the whole experience. Even in a tent, I often use my camp site as a base of operations to use while sightseeing and checking out the area. Being in a campground and in the outdoors is just the cherry on top.

So, travelling with just a motorhome and staying in the RV park or campground like many do is not an option for me.

I had thought I'd get a motorhome and tow behind my (eventual) motorhome, but neither of my cars can be towed 4 down. My Sonata would need a dolly, my electric Ioniq would need a full trailer. So, I don't see it being any easier than an SUV or truck with a trailer, and likely it would be a bit more complicated.

Now that I have my electric car and I am living with 2 cars, I don't need one car that does it all. That was the biggest thing that made a trailer seem like the wrong choice... living with lower MPG for daily driving (and I drive a lot) so that I can camp on some weekends and on vacations. However, now that I have committed to two cars (having an electric only isn't quite convenient enough yet), why not the electric for day to day driving and a truck or SUV for towing, trips, and occasional other drives?

So, those of you with experience with different camper types, which is an easier set up, and which is easier on the road?
  • A motorhome with a car towed on a dolly or trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a lightweight trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a hybrid
  • A small Class C or a Class B that is small enough to drive around for the sightseeing but needs to be hooked up/unhooked every time I want to come and go from the site
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents
15 REPLIES 15

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
Required reading prior to purchase in 2021 and beyond.

Start here.

Then finish with this.

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't buy this year. My best friend manages an RV dealer, and I keep up with trends. Between the years of quality declines, this year trying to push out product to meet demand (and thus putting out more units with defects than usual), and high prices, this isn't the year. I just research early (especially if my choice may impact the next vehicle I buy, which could be in less than a year). I am thinking, with the number of new RVers, the used market could look good in a year or two (three max)... A flood of used units from people who found it wasn't for them, and hopefully they would have fixed whatever needed fixed (and if not, used and with a high supply by then, prices should be where getting it fixed will still make for an overall good deal).
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Several tents

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Required reading prior to purchase in 2021 and beyond.

Start here.

Then finish with this.
I went.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no simple or easy answer to your question. You need to really think what you are planning to do with this RV.

We came through your same path. Had a Popup for 17 years and loved it. Got a little older and wanted to travel more in the early spring and late fall so we got a hybrid. You still have to set up the ends but they are much nicer in so many ways with bathrooms and fridge, oven too. But, when traveling across the country putting up and taking down the ends frequently in sometimes nasty conditions didn't work so well.
We upgraded to a trailer. We had a slide out on the hybrid that did cause us trouble. We wanted a trailer that was totally accessible when stopped for a break on a trip. We have traveled extensively in the western parts of the US and Canada.

We were not interested in any kind of motor home because we like to drive around and see the sights when we are on the road. Don't have the funds to purchase a tow behind so we chose a pickup/tralier combo.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
W
As convenient as some things are with a motorhome (you're firmly in the class C category, it seems, based on your posts), I wouldn't want the extra "vehicle" to maintain/store/repair/insure, in your situation.

Yep.

A motorhome comes with a whole new collection of vehicle running gear to repair and maintain - in addition to the appliances, fixtures and structure associated with all RVs.

Also, if your motorhome breaks down while traveling, you won't be staying in it while it gets repaired.

A trailer/tow vehicle combination is just so much more practical.

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
One thing my buying experiences have taught me: what I thought was really important turned out to be not a big deal, while things that seemed trivial turned out to be important.

Yes, a Class A or C is easier to set up, but you are talking 5 minutes rather than 10. Is that 5 minutes saving worth it? Only you can answer that question.

Yes, a motor home can be set up in the rain from inside, but how often does that happen? You can always buy a poncho.

From your bio, it seems a travel trailer would suit you. You might consider a used unit and see if you like it.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, now you have recommendations for virtually all popular types of RVs in the "smallish" category.
And to no surprise, each have their plusses and drawbacks.
Seems like comfort and "space" to live are of your priorities and regardless of RV type, appears you're going to be storing it away from home when not in use.
That, IMO is also a big consideration, both from security (theft), weather protection (UV and precipitation), rodents, possibly no power hookup, ease of retrieval and storing it.

As convenient as some things are with a motorhome (you're firmly in the class C category, it seems, based on your posts), I wouldn't want the extra "vehicle" to maintain/store/repair/insure, in your situation.

The easy button, and most selection/availability, is a modest size travel trailer, IMO. Ditch the minivan for something that is made to tow, keep the EV for bopping around at home, have your camper in tow and a runaround vehicle while camping and a comfortable vehicle for bobtail road trips (not your EV, as stated by you).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some considerations
A motor home is very fast to set up compared to a Trailer, even a solid trailer.
IN fact if I parked in the rain I could do all the initial set up without setting foot outside the rig on my class A. Run off batteies till the rain let up enough to plug in.. also when traveling (in the rain) and feel the need for a rest stop.. Every thing needed was IN HOUSE so no need to get wet.

Finally in this line. Most motor homes have generators. I put one heavy duty outlet on the RV and used it to power the house when Detroit Edison failed. Worked very well very very well. I only needed about 3500 of my 5500 watts (120 volt only no 240 volt stuff).

Another consideration MPG.. No matter if towing a Nice Trailer with a bit Pickup or towing a small car with a similar size class a. About the same MPG.

But running to the store for a loaf of bread... Car cn hit 25-35 MPG. That big pickup, if you are lucky 16-20

Finally.. a word of advice.. As you travel the water is a bit different, it can take you a few days to adjust to the differences in the bacteria and mineral content of the local water... During that time there are often what I call.. "After Effects"

And the length of "Just a minute" depends entirely on which side of the door you are on.

So a bath and a half Class A.... 2 holes... No waiting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
I barely thought about the idea of getting a small C or a B that can comfortably fit in a parking spot and unhooking when I go somewhere (hence it being last on my list, almost an afterthought). Looks like that may have the plurality of suggestions so far. Interesting. I hadn't thought about only plugging in the electric hookup, that would make it no less convenient than my electric car (i.e. no real inconvenience at all). I guess they do have large enough holding tanks that I could just add water and empty the black and gray tanks when needed. I am single, so I wouldn't need one that is too terribly large (I'm thinking 18-22' if I go with a C and no larger than a 24' if I decide I really want the Ritz Carlton treatment). Usually it would be just me, or me and a friend or two (and if one friend was a girlfriend, or if the two friends were a couple, only two beds would be needed anyway).

I probably would rent before buying if I go with something that different from what I've done before (or borrow one, my best friend is the business manager of an RV dealer, he may not be able to lend one to me for a weekend, but he can take them out himself and I can go with him). Even if I bought one with that plan (go with a small enough RV to park in standard parking spots), I could also rent a car trailer (for my Ioniq) or dolly (for my Sonata) if I occasionally wanted to bring a car (or test out a TOAD if I thought about going larger later).

For a class B, the cost may stop me (even used, they seem to cost much more than a C). Do you get better workmanship and materials for that cost? If so, that may alleviate some of the price difference. An advantage I can see of that is that you can go a bit more stealth. I am a teacher, and in a few years I want to do a cross country trip over the summer. For some stops that are just overnight stopovers for a few hours sleep, being able to stop in a Walmart (or similar) parking lot without drawing much attention could be nice.

If the toilet is the more commonly offered cassette type we are seeing now, can you handle this?

Oh, that is something to look out for. I'm in better health than I have been in decades (2 years ago I started losing weight, within a year I was down over 100LBS, I've only gained about 10LBS of it back over the past year). However, I had a shower and cassette toilet in my pop up and never used them since they were a pain in the... I definitely want a real RV bathroom, using the drain hose, while a little gross for a short period, seems pretty easy. I'll have to keep an eye out (I thought that was only something I had to look out for on some of the smaller trailers).

Where are you going to keep this vehicle when not using it?

Where I live now, I can't leave anything like that at home (I could store a pop-up in the garage I suppose if I change my mind about another pop-up). I will be buying a new place, possibly next spring, no more than a year or two. However, most places around here have HOAs that ban boats and RVs in the driveway. So, I am planning on needing to store (when I had my pop-up, I had to pay for storage for half the time I had it).
Several tents

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
After 20 years with car and small trailer, then a few years with car and tent, I have happily gone solo in a small (fits in one parking space) class C for over 30 years. Plenty of space for one person and the bathroom is right there.

Questions to ask yourself before buying a B or small C:

If the toilet is the more commonly offered cassette type we are seeing now, can you handle this? My aging back is quite happy with a black tank that requires moving only a lightweight hose to dump it. Pulling a full cassette out of a camper is not possible for me. Even if you can handle this weight now, how about a few years from now?

Where are you going to keep this vehicle when not using it? Are you allowed to have it at your main residence? Storage lots are expensive. Plus, the car/RV shuttle to/from such lots can be a major pain for a solo person.

Maybe try out your vehicle of choice by renting before committing to buying one.

Happy travels!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Class B+ or C. You don't need to hook up anything. They run on propane and 12V batteries. You have a water storage tank. You don't need to dump the waste tanks until they are full. Just get in and drive.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Pickup with a camper or a Class B. However, both tend to have small fresh water and waste tanks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrid. Maximum interior room and easy to tow.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, a Class B or Class C are the easiest.
Biggest advantages: can go from the drivers seat to the potty (or kitchen for a snack) without going outdoors. Can arrive at your destination in a downpour, push a button to start the genny - and you are camping.
Advantage of the B over the C: can park just about anywhere - no toad needed
Advantage of the C over the B: WAAY more cargo and living space.

We've had both a Class C and a van conversion - for the most part, all we ever hooked up was shore power, so leaving for an errand was no big deal (and without a toad, you learn to plan your stops before you arrive at a campground)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Pickup truck and truck camper ... easy to load and unload, you can drive with it on or off, you can use your truck and leave it on the site --- It will go anywhere your truck will go. It has a full bathroom.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic