cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best WIFI Hotspot

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I am looking for a portable wifi hotspot. Does anyone here havw any suggestion on which would be best, for the pricing and best coverage?
God Bless!
15 REPLIES 15

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Thans eveyone for your answers. I think I have decided what I want to do.
God Bless!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I stream TV 16-hours a day with Calyx... It's about $400 a year ($33/month average) and on Sprint/T-Mobile towers.

Visible on Verizon towers.... $25 a month unlimited. Works well on some towers and then can be slow on others.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seattle Steve wrote:
An advantage to a stand-alone unit is you can go with a different carrier to expand your coverage options.

This is what we do. AT&T for the hotspot and Verizon prepaid for the phones. We almost always have coverage.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
I use DirecTV now for tv. There is a tv on inside the RV almost all the time unless we're out sightseeing or shopping. I would like to go to one of the web-based tv services but I don't think we can stay within the constraints of use limitations. If or when there is a truly unlimited use option I will sign on and use it on the road and at home, Every unlimited data plan I read about will slow you down at some point, so that I can't use it for tv, especially when two or more TVs are on at once in the home.

My OTR Mobile, unlimited does have a limit, but even working from home, some streaming, plus the other uses, never come close to the cap. IRC, the cap is 300 G.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I use DirecTV now for tv. There is a tv on inside the RV almost all the time unless we're out sightseeing or shopping. I would like to go to one of the web-based tv services but I don't think we can stay within the constraints of use limitations. If or when there is a truly unlimited use option I will sign on and use it on the road and at home, Every unlimited data plan I read about will slow you down at some point, so that I can't use it for tv, especially when two or more TVs are on at once in the home.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I have a straightalk phone. I am currently using it as a hitspot
God Bless!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The only "best" hotspot is the one that fulfills your needs at a price you want to pay. Just like everything, they range in functionality from your phone to a dozens of stand alone units. Will you be using it for work, streaming, or just checking emails. Some carriers are better geographically than others, so again - depends. Do you need unlimited data? Who is your carrier now? Maybe the have a bundle to add it to your plan. But there is no "best". Each model - including your phone and each carrier have their own advantages and disadvantages.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
An advantage to a stand-alone unit is you can go with a different carrier to expand your coverage options.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
your phone
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BenBoosted
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a bundle/kit from mobile must have. They have a great video that goes over all of their bundles. It's more of an industrial hotspot with a roof mounted antenna than a hotspot you hold in the palm of your hand without an external antenna.
2017 Holiday Rambler Vesta - Class C
6.5" lift kit w/ A/T tires
Lithium batteries
Victron Inverter/charger
200w portable solar

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can just use the one on your phone if your plan provides one. Saves having extra hardware.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Find one that has external antenna inputs.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Quality also depends on location. We have two Verizon Mifi's which work great in Ohio, but droop when in Orlando Florida for the winter. Last winter we got a similar MiFi from Sprint, and it worked much better in Orlando, and works great in Ohio.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that some Unlimited plans will throttle down their service to 2G after a few hours of usage.