Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does such a Class A exist?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Does such a Class A exist?

Our Northern Lite 10-2 CD slide-in truck camper suits us perfectly except for three drawbacks. But first some features we like: The roomy dinette with a large window. No slides to mess with and malfunction.

The drawbacks: At age 84, climbing into and out of the cabover bed multiples times per night. The standard-size RV toilet, which seems more suitable for a child than for an adult male – and not enough room to swap it out. Plus the air conditioner does not permit the option of cooling the sleeping area without cooling the entire interior.

We like the Leisure Vans Unity model (not a Class A) with rear twin beds and loads of overhead storage. But we don’t care for the transverse dinette with a limited view of the outdoors.

Do you know of a Class A with rear twin beds, a toilet with residential-size elongated seat, the ability to air condition the bedroom without cooling the entire interior, a roomy dinette with a good view of the outdoors, and no slide?

And I guess I should mention that our budget dictates used not new.
13 REPLIES 13

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an example of what I'm looking for: Fleetwood Terra 26Y Twin Bed model.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
It seems to me that you are really looking for a Class C rather than a Class A and you just can't admit it to yourself.
What does that mean? Why do you think I want a Class C when I say I want a Class A?

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that you are really looking for a Class C rather than a Class A and you just can't admit it to yourself.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
How long and how much to spend?
Shorter is better -- say 25 ft. Budget: maybe $30K.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
There are some twin bed options still available, such as these:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/axis/floor-plans/241/
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/fourwinds/floor-plans/25V

But they don't check the other boxes... One option might be to start with something like this:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/fourwinds/floor-plans/28A
And do an aftermarket mod...

Or this:
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/motorhomes/conquestclassc/model/6280le
Which I've seen available as a rental with 4 bunk beds in the back instead of the queen, so could possibly be ordered with twin beds.

I'm not sure that any of those come with two ACs though, so that would be an aftermarket mod.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would this work? 2006 Four Winds RV Windsport 34W. It's wheel chain accessible also if needed.

Not easy finding something with all the boxes checked. The twin bed configuration is rare unless you go way back in time.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
I'll also follow the bullet point reply to the topic.

Toilet: Yes, easy to swap on whatever you get... unless the toilet is a very short one that sits on a box. Some Class A makers did that extensively in the 90s and some even into the 2000s. That means you have to find a toilet with similar vertical dimensions, or you have to remove the old toilet, the framework it is sitting on, determine how to cover the floor in the bathroom where the box void is and hope that the down pipe from the toilet to the black tank is in the proper place to put in a new toilet. Keep in mind that many of these manufacturers put the toilet on a a box so they could put in an angled down pipe to the black tank because the toilet was not located directly over the black tank.

A/C: Lots of older Class As have two A/Cs. Ducted systems with wall thermostats are most prevalent on anything from about 2000 forward. With two roof airs you have two cooling zones in which the front A/C handles the front of the coach and the rear unit handles the rear. If the coach you are looking at has 2 roof airs, one for sure is handling the rear of the coach.

Slides: Finding a post 2000 Class A with no slides is going to be very challenging. Most manufacturers started to dabble in slides on Class As in the late 90s and the popularity and quantity of slides has increased since then. If you really don't want slides you are either looking for a unicorn or you will have to make your age range for your used coach go back a whole lot farther than 2000. As others have said, a used unit in which the slides work now, can always have some extra inspection and maintenance done which can ensure that slides continue to work well into the future.

Twin beds: That is a pretty rare option to find in older coaches, I haven't seen twin beds in anything more modern in years. If that is make or break you will have to buy new and find a maker that will do a one-off custom order to fulfill that.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long and how much to spend?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Toilet: Easy to swap out.

Air/con: Assuming it has a separate bedroom and ducted air/con, you should be able to shut off the vents to the main living room to focus it on the bedroom. But as mentioned, it's really not a big deal

Slides: They are pretty reliable...to the point you will probably have to special order to find one without (or go with an older used model)

Twin Beds: Don't see too many of those anymore...again, probably a special order as they will likely have to move cabinets.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toilet: If buying new you can specify, Used you can upgrade (As I did)

Beds, Those are not as easy to "upgrade" but it's possible.. Depending on the RV. RV's without slideouts are out there.. Both new and used. and generally it's easier to change beds in those.

The RV I had had slides. and a short queen bed.. and a bath and a half.. That last was the selling point.. 2 holes. no waiting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of class C’s with rear twin beds, but I think you’ll have to find used.

Not sure what the issue with the AC cooling the entire coach is? As far as slides, going to be hard to find a non slide class A unless you go used. I’ve had 3 RVs with slides and none of them had issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Other than buying something ancient, the Coachmen Pursuit 27 seems to come close to what you're looking for. Not sure how they rate on the quality scale, however.

No-slide Class A's are rare.

A retrofit for twin beds and a different toilet should be possible I would think.

The AC thing I'd forget about. If a class A has one AC unit it will cool the entire coach. That's just the way it is.

Hopefully others will offer other suggestions.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
There are some older class A's that will supply all those and more. It will take some searching and maybe some of the other members here will even be able to tell you make and model. Then you just have to start searching.

Modern, or new ones will all have slides, and the only way you can get two beds is with a bunkhouse model.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog