cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Renting your RV

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard about this, know nothing about it.

Someone told me there are companies that will take your RV, and you'll just get a check every month.

Anyone have good experience with this?
34 REPLIES 34

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skibane wrote:
Another option is to split the purchase cost of the RV among several family members and/or trusted friends - So instead of one person paying $40K for an RV, 3 or 4 folks pay $10-13K apiece for it.

This also has the advantage of getting more use out of the RV. With 3 or 4 co-owners - each with their own travel plans and schedules, it won't be spending as much time sitting unused between trips.

Personally, I'd feel bad about spending $40K for an RV that spent 95 percent of its time sitting unused. However, if it only cost me $10K instead - and some of the people I care about also got some enjoyment out of it - then that's a lot more appealing prospect.

You better REALLY "love" those friends and family because in many cases "sharing" or money often leads to no family or friends when the deal goes south.

If one can't afford or doesn't like the cost of a expensive toy just sitting around, it is often better to buy a old beater used toy for cheap that one can afford by that one person than risk making enemies of friends and family.

I can assure you, absolutely nothing good will come from "sharing" with my family, jealousy and greed.. Gave my family lots of opportunities over the yrs with no strings attached, each time resulted in squabbles and fights because each of the family members felt cheated.. I ended up dealing with the mess, fixing things at my expense.. No more.

I realize there are whole families that can "get along together", they camp together, they rent condos together, those are the lucky folks as long as no one decides their "half" is lesser than the other ones..

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to split the purchase cost of the RV among several family members and/or trusted friends - So instead of one person paying $40K for an RV, 3 or 4 folks pay $10-13K apiece for it.

This also has the advantage of getting more use out of the RV. With 3 or 4 co-owners - each with their own travel plans and schedules, it won't be spending as much time sitting unused between trips.

Personally, I'd feel bad about spending $40K for an RV that spent 95 percent of its time sitting unused. However, if it only cost me $10K instead - and some of the people I care about also got some enjoyment out of it - then that's a lot more appealing prospect.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way Jose. They may take it to the Burning Man festival at Black Rock desert and you will never get that very fine powder sand out of the RV and all the moving parts. Many renters love to abuse other peoples property. You should see some of the apartments at a modern gated rental unit I stayed in South Reno years ago. I now live in older apartment with mostly older renters like me and we have none of that violent BS against property or fellow renters.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Never..............

If I have to rent it out to make ends meet, I'd sell it.

Rental motorhomes such as Cruise America or El Monte are custom built units just for them. There are no awnings to get ripped off, no retractable steps to jam and get ripped off. Everything is very heavy duty. The curtains (not pull down shades that the strings break on) are very heavy duty too. Everything is made with the thought of what could someone do to destroy this. The Class C units also have (if Ford) a 5.4L V8 rather than the V10 (or the current 7,3L) this is to keep people from running way too fast with them.

Equipment such as dishes and blankets, etc are rented separately, and inventoried when returned. Nothing is left to chance.

Charles

Also - at the end of their rental "life" the Cruise America & El Monte RV units are completely refirbished - logos removed, etc. & (forget which company) re-badges them as a "Majestic". They also warranty their re-sale units.

The point is: They *need* to do that for re-sale. It should tell someone considering renting his/her RV be ready to do (some level) of the same!..:R

The stationary trailer as an air b&b sure sounds like a giant headache, and a bigger headache if you're not on hand to solve problems.

Lose lose situation, wish any owner - best of luck!

๐Ÿ˜ž

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
eend wrote:
Last year we rented out our airstream for a long weekend, we signed up with Ruckify ( A Canadian company) it was a great experience, the rental company ( Ruckify) took care of all insurances, damage deposits. We removed our personal belongings and left all the pots pans cutlery etc. For an extra fee they rented our generator, .
Th renter came a picked up the rv, I went through the rv with him and off they went, the rv had to be returned at 2 pm on their last rental day and they left the the thing spotless upon their return.
We rented it out for $125.00 a night, and the generator for 30.00 a day. Easy money.
And with this COVID thing a lot of people are either renting their rv out or renting an rv.
This is no different than renting a home through VRBO or Air BNB .
First, it is a bit different than a VRBO. When have you ever seen a VRBO on the side of the road with a flat tire, or stuck in the mud?
Second, A long weekend implies 3 or 4 nights max. If you have to pay the rental company out of the rent what do you actually net? If the $125.00 is your net, that still is $500.00 or less. On top of that, you are in Canada, so I assume that is $500.00Cdn., which equates to about $400.00US. No way I would go thru the trouble and risk for that little return. Just not worth it to me.

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
2 different things we're talking about maybe?

One is renting it, someone takes it. Another is I airbnb it and it doesn't move from my property.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
blaczero wrote:
Just heard about this, know nothing about it.

Someone told me there are companies that will take your RV, and you'll just get a check every month.

Anyone have good experience with this?

Here's a one word summary of everything you need to know about renting your RV:

** DON'T **

:S

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Great responses from everyone, thanks.

I would like to park my RV on my property and Airbnb it. I am considering renting it out since I am getting a new one. We'll have to put some more thought into it.

It's one thing renting out a class c, a whole other to rent out a towable.

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
I would never rent mine out. However, reading these replies, which I totally agree with, I have to chuckle. I have also read many many times here how people should rent one to see which RVs might suit them best. I find your options to rent are really pricey and/or barebones. El Monte RV isn't gonna be like one you'd buy going up a grade. The DP on Outdoorsy costs $450 a day and has extreme limits on
mileage and genny use. Peace and love to all who deal with rentals, but it just seems like a huge PIA.
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

eend
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we rented out our airstream for a long weekend, we signed up with Ruckify ( A Canadian company) it was a great experience, the rental company ( Ruckify) took care of all insurances, damage deposits. We removed our personal belongings and left all the pots pans cutlery etc. For an extra fee they rented our generator, .
Th renter came a picked up the rv, I went through the rv with him and off they went, the rv had to be returned at 2 pm on their last rental day and they left the the thing spotless upon their return.
We rented it out for $125.00 a night, and the generator for 30.00 a day. Easy money.
And with this COVID thing a lot of people are either renting their rv out or renting an rv.
This is no different than renting a home through VRBO or Air BNB .
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Never..............

If I have to rent it out to make ends meet, I'd sell it.

Rental motorhomes such as Cruise America or El Monte are custom built units just for them. There are no awnings to get ripped off, no retractable steps to jam and get ripped off. Everything is very heavy duty. The curtains (not pull down shades that the strings break on) are very heavy duty too. Everything is made with the thought of what could someone do to destroy this. The Class C units also have (if Ford) a 5.4L V8 rather than the V10 (or the current 7,3L) this is to keep people from running way too fast with them.

Equipment such as dishes and blankets, etc are rented separately, and inventoried when returned. Nothing is left to chance.

Co-worker rented a Sprinter class C for a trip. Griped about how underpowered it was and how he had to drive with it on the floor the whole time to get 75mph out of it. Also griped about having to run the roof A/C continually on the road as they were in Florida, and how many times he had to refill the propane. Very hard on it and typical of the abusers who rent stuff.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Unobtanium wrote:
Hard to believe the question is even asked lol.

It's been asked here, hundreds of times.
95% of responses say "No Way".
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
It is true that not all renters are slobs and ruin your stuff. But, even if 100% of the renters treated it like you would want them to, regular wear and tear is exponentially accelerated. But in the real world, we know that 100% of the renters won't treat it like you want them to. Frankly it doesn't take a high percentage of "bad" renters to mess up a lot of stuff fast. RV's can be touchy things.

We ran our Rv rental business for 3 years until we finally threw up our hands. We have owned rental properties so we could vet potential clients fairly well. We rented only to families and for vacations only - no music festivals or races. We didn't have a lot of bad renters but when we did, aw man. Despite charging cleaning fees and $1k damage deposit, some of the things we had to deal with:
-A dentist ripped the awing off and smashed in a bin door.
-Another renter ran into a guardrail and ripped a bin door off and damaged the entry door requiring replacement.
-One group smashed in the sky light
-Beer cans stuck in the toilet and black tank drains. Glitter was all over the inside of the rv on that trip.
-The awing was ripped off.
-One guy thought he was doing us a favor by power washing the RV. In turn tore out some caulking and got water in the unit.
-Genny exhaust broken off.
-Switches broken.
-FW fill broken.

I could go on and on. And more often than not, the tanks weren't emptied properly.

The question you have to ask is, would you be ok if any of that happened to your personal RV?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dedmiston
A buddy of mine is an electrician and he was in hot water after the 2008 downturn and having trouble making payments on his Class A.

The agency he used seemed pretty reputable, kind of the equivalent of the property management companies that people use for real estate rentals.

The agency fielded all of the questions about how to work the inverter or how to fill the water tanks, stuff like that. They also did inspections before and after every trip and had a guy on staff full time to fix things.

His take-away was that the place rented out his RV enough so that he could make his payments. It was pretty impossible for him to use his own rig, because it was usually booked out.

After he got back on his feet and didn't need to rent it out anymore, it took him about a year to replenish all the cookware and stuff that disappeared and to fix all of the wear-and-tear damage.

He says that he'll never ever do this again, and he'd probably just sell it if he were in a bind like that again. It's paid off by now, so that probably won't be an issue.

I think he got lucky.

On the other hand, I had to rent a used Class C years ago when my kid graduated from the University of Wyoming. We were expecting a December graduation, but we got lucky and shaved six months off the date. But Laramie is such a small town that everything was already booked out. We got creative and rented a Class C from a place in Denver and drove it up to WY.

The rental was in pretty good shape, but it was very bare bones. It wasn't equipped for boondocking, so we bought a beefy extension cord at the hardware store and ran it around the back yard through a doggie door so we could plug in and have power to run the furnace. Even though it was the end of May, it was literally freezing and it ended up snowing and burying us in for a few days.

The rental didn't have many blankets or pillows, and luckily we didn't need to cook. We've rented condos in places like Maui before, and they were usually turn-key, but this rental really assumed you were packing ALL your own stuff.

The owner lived in New York and stored it with the rental service year round. When they were ready to travel, they'd fly out and use Denver as their starting/ending point. Who knows what they did with all of their gear, because their RV really wasn't outfitted.

Anyway, my lessons from my friend's experience and our own experience as renters is that the RV rental business isn't suitable for private parties. Leave it to the big boys like El Monte RV. They've got the process figured out and there aren't any emotional ties to the rental units.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230