Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Renting your RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting your RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eend wrote:

Last year we rented out our airstream for a long weekend, we signed up with Ruckify ( A Canadian company) it was a great experience, the rental company ( Ruckify) took care of all insurances, damage deposits. We removed our personal belongings and left all the pots pans cutlery etc. For an extra fee they rented our generator, .
Th renter came a picked up the rv, I went through the rv with him and off they went, the rv had to be returned at 2 pm on their last rental day and they left the the thing spotless upon their return.
We rented it out for $125.00 a night, and the generator for 30.00 a day. Easy money.
And with this COVID thing a lot of people are either renting their rv out or renting an rv.
This is no different than renting a home through VRBO or Air BNB .
First, it is a bit different than a VRBO. When have you ever seen a VRBO on the side of the road with a flat tire, or stuck in the mud?
Second, A long weekend implies 3 or 4 nights max. If you have to pay the rental company out of the rent what do you actually net? If the $125.00 is your net, that still is $500.00 or less. On top of that, you are in Canada, so I assume that is $500.00Cdn., which equates to about $400.00US. No way I would go thru the trouble and risk for that little return. Just not worth it to me.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

Never..............

If I have to rent it out to make ends meet, I'd sell it.

Rental motorhomes such as Cruise America or El Monte are custom built units just for them. There are no awnings to get ripped off, no retractable steps to jam and get ripped off. Everything is very heavy duty. The curtains (not pull down shades that the strings break on) are very heavy duty too. Everything is made with the thought of what could someone do to destroy this. The Class C units also have (if Ford) a 5.4L V8 rather than the V10 (or the current 7,3L) this is to keep people from running way too fast with them.

Equipment such as dishes and blankets, etc are rented separately, and inventoried when returned. Nothing is left to chance.

Charles

Also - at the end of their rental "life" the Cruise America & El Monte RV units are completely refirbished - logos removed, etc. & (forget which company) re-badges them as a "Majestic". They also warranty their re-sale units.

The point is: They *need* to do that for re-sale. It should tell someone considering renting his/her RV be ready to do (some level) of the same!..[emoticon]

The stationary trailer as an air b&b sure sounds like a giant headache, and a bigger headache if you're not on hand to solve problems.

Lose lose situation, wish any owner - best of luck!

[emoticon]

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 01:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way Jose. They may take it to the Burning Man festival at Black Rock desert and you will never get that very fine powder sand out of the RV and all the moving parts. Many renters love to abuse other peoples property. You should see some of the apartments at a modern gated rental unit I stayed in South Reno years ago. I now live in older apartment with mostly older renters like me and we have none of that violent BS against property or fellow renters.

* This post was edited 10/23/21 08:42pm by NamMedevac 70 *

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is to split the purchase cost of the RV among several family members and/or trusted friends - So instead of one person paying $40K for an RV, 3 or 4 folks pay $10-13K apiece for it.

This also has the advantage of getting more use out of the RV. With 3 or 4 co-owners - each with their own travel plans and schedules, it won't be spending as much time sitting unused between trips.

Personally, I'd feel bad about spending $40K for an RV that spent 95 percent of its time sitting unused. However, if it only cost me $10K instead - and some of the people I care about also got some enjoyment out of it - then that's a lot more appealing prospect.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

Another option is to split the purchase cost of the RV among several family members and/or trusted friends - So instead of one person paying $40K for an RV, 3 or 4 folks pay $10-13K apiece for it.

This also has the advantage of getting more use out of the RV. With 3 or 4 co-owners - each with their own travel plans and schedules, it won't be spending as much time sitting unused between trips.

Personally, I'd feel bad about spending $40K for an RV that spent 95 percent of its time sitting unused. However, if it only cost me $10K instead - and some of the people I care about also got some enjoyment out of it - then that's a lot more appealing prospect.

You better REALLY "love" those friends and family because in many cases "sharing" or money often leads to no family or friends when the deal goes south.

If one can't afford or doesn't like the cost of a expensive toy just sitting around, it is often better to buy a old beater used toy for cheap that one can afford by that one person than risk making enemies of friends and family.

I can assure you, absolutely nothing good will come from "sharing" with my family, jealousy and greed.. Gave my family lots of opportunities over the yrs with no strings attached, each time resulted in squabbles and fights because each of the family members felt cheated.. I ended up dealing with the mess, fixing things at my expense.. No more.

I realize there are whole families that can "get along together", they camp together, they rent condos together, those are the lucky folks as long as no one decides their "half" is lesser than the other ones..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting your RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.