cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ALLIGATORS!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep your pets (and your children) safe and away from waters like ponds and lakes. Alligators have become such a problem they're even eating each other.

Massive gator swallows smaller gator whole.

Alligator rushes out of the water and steals FL boy's fish and fishing rod.

These prehistoric critters will also rush out of the water and grab your children, your dogs and your cats (just look it up online). Anything that moves is a potential lunch including adults (see attacks noted online).

Not my idea of a vacation.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
17 REPLIES 17

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
It was revenge for this gator eating a shark in the same area.
Hilton Head alligator named Charlie ate a shark. Get used to it, scientists say
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:

True - but they are easy to see in a swimming pool.....LOL! As far as them frolicking in the ocean - they'd better be BIG or the sharks will get them! ROFL!!! Recently, our local social media featured a Lemon Shark swimming about 15' off the beach....

Hereโ€™s an article about a shark attacking a gator.
Shark bites alligator.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Alligators also enjoy a dip in backyard pools and even the occasional visit to Cocoa Beach to frolic in the surf. ๐Ÿ™‚

True - but they are easy to see in a swimming pool.....LOL! As far as them frolicking in the ocean - they'd better be BIG or the sharks will get them! ROFL!!! Recently, our local social media featured a Lemon Shark swimming about 15' off the beach....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Alligators also enjoy a dip in backyard pools and even the occasional visit to Cocoa Beach to frolic in the surf. ๐Ÿ™‚

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I agree that it never hurts to remind visitors to the south that alligators are a threat. I remember wondering, during visits to FL, why no inland lakes have docks/swim rafts/beaches, etc. Now that I spend my winter there, I know the answer: the only water that is "safe" is a swimming pool. Even if there's no alligators around, there's still flesh-eating bacteria and brain-eating amoebas that lurk... I guess the tragic example is the little boy who was wading at one of the Disney properties, and was grabbed/drowned by an alligator. The sign said "no swimming", and he wasn't. Locals probably understand that "no swimming" means alligators might be present - but the poor kid's family was from Nebraska, I think.

So warning folks that alligators lurk, can run FAST, climb fences, etc is a good thing

There's a good bit more to the Disney episode than has been made public. Cameras EVERYWHERE on Disney property and irresponsible parents can often lead to an issue "going away" .... as this one did once everything was investigated and documented.

Yes, definitely a tragedy, but totally avoidable.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it never hurts to remind visitors to the south that alligators are a threat. I remember wondering, during visits to FL, why no inland lakes have docks/swim rafts/beaches, etc. Now that I spend my winter there, I know the answer: the only water that is "safe" is a swimming pool. Even if there's no alligators around, there's still flesh-eating bacteria and brain-eating amoebas that lurk... I guess the tragic example is the little boy who was wading at one of the Disney properties, and was grabbed/drowned by an alligator. The sign said "no swimming", and he wasn't. Locals probably understand that "no swimming" means alligators might be present - but the poor kid's family was from Nebraska, I think.

So warning folks that alligators lurk, can run FAST, climb fences, etc is a good thing
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
pennysmom09 wrote:
Rather a sensationalist post. We winter in central Florida every year and are surrounded by lakes. Common sense will keep you safe. Anyone that walks their dog near water has none. Besides, during the winter alligators are so dormant they donโ€™t bother anyone if you leave them alone.

Thatโ€™s just it: common sense is often left at home by vacationers. A vivid reminder, especially to those who live in states without gators, that these creatures pose a real threat, is periodically necessary. I will also add that the slow moving St. Johnโ€™s River in FL is also a gator haven. So much so that they have an annual gator hunt to keep the population in check.

Having lived in FL, AL and TX, I have seen gators emerge from hibernation on warm winter days. They will โ€œbother youโ€ as you called it: attack is a better word. Theyโ€™re primitive and have essentially 2 instinctual drives: eat and reproduce.

On the b side gator tail is not too shabby. Tastes like a lightly fish-flavored chicken. Pretty good with Cajun spices.:w

NamMedevac 70 wrote:
bgum wrote:
Dumb but true: Friends came to home one evening and asked if I wanted to go frogging. Well since I had never been before (or since) I went. Four adults and two children in boat. We saw a couple alligators and that was when my friend said one can tell the size of the gator by the distance between the eyes. He decided to catch a small one. It turned out to be about four feet long. Naturally he dropped him in the boat and it thrashed around and knocked out all the lights. 12 legs and feet in a boat in total darkness with an angry gator. Well when we finally got the lights back on there was all the adults and one kid in the front of the boat and one 4 year old (sucking his thumb) and the gator in the back of the boat staring at each other.

You can't cure stupid

You got that right:c

Magnus

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Rather a sensationalist post. We winter in central Florida every year and are surrounded by lakes. Common sense will keep you safe. Anyone that walks their dog near water has none. Besides, during the winter alligators are so dormant they donโ€™t bother anyone if you leave them alone.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Keep your pets (and your children) safe and away from waters like ponds and lakes. Alligators have become such a problem they're even eating each other.

Massive gator swallows smaller gator whole.

Alligator rushes out of the water and steals FL boy's fish and fishing rod.

These prehistoric critters will also rush out of the water and grab your children, your dogs and your cats (just look it up online). Anything that moves is a potential lunch including adults (see attacks noted online).

Not my idea of a vacation.

I see your map is pretty much full. If this isn't your "idea of a vacation", you should know better than anyone that the vast majority of the states on that map have no alligator issues at all.

Stick to them in your travels.

There, problem solved. :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Dumb but true: Friends came to home one evening and asked if I wanted to go frogging. Well since I had never been before (or since) I went. Four adults and two children in boat. We saw a couple alligators and that was when my friend said one can tell the size of the gator by the distance between the eyes. He decided to catch a small one. It turned out to be about four feet long. Naturally he dropped him in the boat and it thrashed around and knocked out all the lights. 12 legs and feet in a boat in total darkness with an angry gator. Well when we finally got the lights back on there was all the adults and one kid in the front of the boat and one 4 year old (sucking his thumb) and the gator in the back of the boat staring at each other.

You can't cure stupid

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Gulf shores state park has a sign at the dog park. It's at the water and it says " don't agitate the alligators "

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
None should be allowed in your neighborhood. Eventually a loved one will be attacked.

Anything big enough to hurt a human is removed; but we seem to get babies who like to hide in the drainages ditches from larger predators. We leave them along and they seem to wander off as they get a little bigger. But we also have 1000' of frontage on the Intracoastal, so have Bull Sharks and Sting Rays; the occasional Water Moccasin, etc. When it gets too "bite-y" in the Spring we head back to good ol' Michigan....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Cannibalism has nothing to do with the size of the gator population, they can and do dine on one another.

The problem in Florida is development keeps edging into gator habitat, much like frequent bear
sitings in the area I live in, 3 miles from Wekiva State Park/Forest, surrounded by residential development. The bears didn't get the memo either.....