cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50A Power Cord Reel

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I managed to acquire a brand new 50A Glendenning power cord reel. You pull the cord out to connect then push the button to wind it back in on departure. It's probably going to cost around $50 in parts to install it. I've managed 22 years without a power reel. Is it worth going thru the effort to DIY install? Just looking for opinions.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
6 REPLIES 6

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I decided against installing it. Figure 8 coiling the 50A cord in the electrical bay takes me about 20 seconds so there is really no advantage to a power reel. Plus the power reel adds a ton of new failure points. Additional connections, brushes, power motor and wiring. Just nothing to be gained there.

Would it be a neat feature, sure but I don't really have a problem it would fix. I may install it just before selling/trading. It would probably make a good selling point.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
I do not have any room in one pass-through storage bin and it is long ways from my 50 amp plug in. Could a power storage reel be mounted on the back bumper?

It's not just a storage for your power cord, but it's hardwired in. Saves having to plug it in both ends and solves the storage problem.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have any room in one pass-through storage bin and it is long ways from my 50 amp plug in. Could a power storage reel be mounted on the back bumper?
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have one, but it's on my someday list, maybe.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mlpeloquin
Explorer
Explorer
Had a power reel in my fifth wheel. No room in the class A. Wish we had one. You have to make sure that the connections in the center of the reel are tight. If not, they can heat and char, or you can get an imbalance voltage with a loose neutral. Don't as me why I know. Other than that they are great. I could operate it by myself. Life could not be better with 50A cord especially when it is stiff and cold. You will enjoy it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our manual plug in with exactly what you described. It's definitely worth it. For ease of use, it takes two of us. Hubby to guide the cord and me to push the button.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton