Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Rental Car Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Rental Car Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexicowander is correct. Take pics. Saved us a time or two. Definitely fill the tank otherwise you will pay anywhere from two to four times the normal price for gas.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The consensus seems to be it is a waste of money and your credit card will cover any problems or your car insurance. I can give you an example where that was not the case. A tourist from Japan ran a stoplight near Disney World hitting my rented Lincoln between the doors on one side. It was totaled.

A few weeks later I received a notice from the rental car company that I owed for the loss of use and the value of the Lincoln. I called both my own insurance and my credit card company who both stated that they would investigate but that it was an "at fault" incident and there would be costs involved. I called my Attorney, which cost far more than the $12.00 a day, and turned it over to him.

The tourist from Japan had stated I ran the light and then he left the Country. A couple of months went by and the rental car company filed paperwork to put a lien on my home. My Attorney said we would need to have additional representation in Florida as we were out of State...more expense. Luckily, my wife found a business card from a person who witnessed the collision and had told her the tourist ran the light. We supplied his information to the proper people and ultimately we were absolved of any expense.

I would only suggest you make sure you really know what you think you know! Sometimes the actual incident becomes more complicated than the advertisement you read.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

d3500ram wrote:

Most insurance companies (for your own car) will will extend the coverage that you have over to the rental, but beware of pitfalls such as gap.

Caution: Our insurance advisor has never heard of this 'gap'. Please double check with your carrier anyway before renting a car.

Follow up to this...
I called my insurance company regarding this and they indicated that (words tot he effect) that there is no "gap" concern on their part.

In thinking back, me thinks that this "gap" subject might have been a sales tactic by the sales counter representative when I picked up the car. I think it was at that time that there was the attempted insurance upsale that they tried to push. I declined it.

Caveat emptor

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Mexicowander is correct. Take pics. Saved us a time or two. Definitely fill the tank otherwise you will pay anywhere from two to four times the normal price for gas.

I actually take a walk around video from my smartphone when I pickup a rental car, and when I return it. Also, highlight any flaws I find by pointing at it. I use the free video app Time Stamp Camera that watermarks the time/date and GPS location on the recorded video.

The funny thing is if you do this at rental pickup/return, you'll find other car renters suddenly following your lead and whip out their smartphones. It never hurts to document any possible disputes.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOTE that the phrase "Your millage may vary" applies to this big time. Laws vary state to state. so yack with your insurance agent.

The one time I recently rented I got the insurance. made the return check in faster.. But back to topic.

In MICHIGAN. if you own a car and have in insured, and Rent a car, that rental is covered same as your personal car.
Same if you buy a new car (For a period of days) it's covered (I think 3 BUSINESS days but not sure on that).

* This post was edited 10/29/21 01:56pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check under the rental. Twice I have rented cars that had undercarriage damage that I noticed before I took possession of the vehicle. I place my phone on the ground and take a video of the undercarriage as I drive the vehicle forward and backwards then I reviewed the video. Also check out all features of the vehicle including the GPS and document what does not work. Take your time.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Rental Car Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.