cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestion for cargo floor liner

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new 5th wheel that has a large storage area in the rear under the living area. My issue is that it's approx. 6 feet deep and runs almost the entire width of the rig. It currently has a slick linoleum floor. Well I can already see anything I put in there is going sliding all over the place while on the road. I'm looking for suggestions for some type of floor covering that would be skid resistant. My front pass thru has a rubberized floor with a diamond plate pattern. Too bad they didn't install that in the rear as well.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Horse stall mats

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it would depend upon what you want to store in it. If it is a thermoplastic rotocast storage bay like most bays they are not very strong,(mine are less than 1/8 in thick) I would put ply wood on the floors to reinforce and distribute the weight better. I would worry more about heavy stuff bouncing around on that thermoplastic bay rather than sliding, however the plywood would have more friction than the smooth plastic.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Maybe a cheap indoor/outdoor rug, such as they have for about $20 (for a 6'x8') at the big box home improvement stores. They look like thin commercial carpeting and are typically made of (at least partly) recycled plastic. If the rug slides around too much, you could perhaps staple it down along the edges.

^^^^^This. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get one or 2 of these outdoor rugs. They are thin and do not prevent things from sliding easily enough to put things in and take them out but has enough friction to hold things in place.....more so than the bare vinyl. I put it in my front storage area and I like it. Works for me anyway.

X2...... I tried a thin rubber mat, but it was tough to get the generator and the compressor in and out of the cubby cuz they both have rubber feet and wouldn't slide easily. Got some thin indoor/outdoor carpet and it works great.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'm gonna check on a cheap outdoor rug a couple of you suggested. I even thought of maybe tacking down one or two 2 x 2 strips to kinda divide the floor into sections. Even if things slide a little they will hopefully stay on said 'section" of the floor. Thing a little trial and error will help me the most.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carpet squares would work well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe something in the anti fatigue mat department?

Anti fatigue mat examples

You can also order "coin floor" which is often used in toyhauler garages.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
those 1 ft square floor mats that lock together like a jig saw puzzle and look to be about 1/2 inch??? thick would be easy to install.
bumpy

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Maybe a cheap indoor/outdoor rug, such as they have for about $20 (for a 6'x8') at the big box home improvement stores. They look like thin commercial carpeting and are typically made of (at least partly) recycled plastic. If the rug slides around too much, you could perhaps staple it down along the edges.

^^^^^This. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get one or 2 of these outdoor rugs. They are thin and do not prevent things from sliding easily enough to put things in and take them out but has enough friction to hold things in place.....more so than the bare vinyl. I put it in my front storage area and I like it. Works for me anyway.

I also put it on top of the plywood of the bed that the mattress sits on. The plywood always caught the fabric of the mattress when we changed the sheets so that solved the issue.

dedmiston
My cargo hold is just tall enough to perfectly fit the cheap knockoff Rubbermaid totes. I have one tote for all the dump hoses and connections. One for chocks & leveling blocks. And one for misc. junk. These three totes keep things from sliding around.

Tools go on one side and patio mat & sand bags go on the other. Nothing really moves much. Not that it doesn't get cluttered, but everything stays pretty much where I leave it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d think you’d want something slick to ease in dragging objects out of there.
But otherwise, the options are numerous.
Carpeting, indoor outdoor or otherwise.
Rubber bed mat, cut to size (kinda heavy)
Stall mats( overkill and way too heavy)
Seadek and other similar brands (nice but expensive)
Deckadence marine flooring (not as expensive)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
try a farm and home type of store that has rubberized mats, etc.
but nothing short of tying stuff down under netting etc. will be sufficient, IMHO
bumpy