cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sleepy Hollow, NY parkways?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Croton Point campground in New York. It is right "up the road" from Sleepy Hollow which we will be touristing.

We are coming from I95 going north - looks like most of the routes from there are parkways?

Is my F250 and 21ft TT allowed on the parkways? Seems like a "maybe" from what I'm reading.

Specifically Sprain Brook Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, and "Broadway" (which I think is a parkway?).

Thanks for replies.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the south I recommend I87 N (NYS Thruway) to NY 9A.

The northern route from 95 North to I 287 E, the Cuomo bridge, fka the Tappan Zee and access CP Park from NY rt9. (I think this is the route I would take.)

For a bit more adventure find your way to the Bear Mtn Bridge near West Point Military Academy. Be advised NY rt202 is a challenge w a trailer; tight switch backs but 2 full lanes everywhere. Southbound is uphill.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
US9 is not a parkway.

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Route 9 is not a parkway.
David

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So as far as I can tell, Route 9 is NOT a parkway?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So... is Route 9, going from Tappanzee bridge north,a "parkway"? I am not getting a straight answer from my internet searching.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it seems my truck by itself is a no-no... not only over 5,500lbs, but it has combination license plates.

I did read somewhere that the travel trailer is okay, but I don't remember where I saw it. Of course, even if my camper would be okay, my truck towing it is illegal, lol.

So I have to figure out how to get to Croton Point campground - there is some way to get to it not using a parkway, as it has campsites for campers with full hookups.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The basic rule is simple: if it's called a parkway in that region, RVs are not permitted and often are physically too large to navigate the road. That does indeed mean your routes are somewhat limited. The only exception of note is the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey, which is fine for RV travel. (RVs are also permitted on the Lake Ontario Shore Parkway west of Rochester, NY, but that's not exactly in the area...and frankly you're just as well off avoiding it as it's rather poorly maintained and the pavement is pretty rough.)

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
As a former Parkway Police Officer, NO, for the trailer but the truck alone will be fine. Nobody's going to check your weight.

PS there's a good chance the trailer would get stuck under a bridge.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer

"Can I drive my truck on the parkway?"

This is one of the most frequently asked questions at NYCRoads.com. The guide below should help you determine if you can use your pickup, van, or other truck on the Hudson Valley's parkway system.

Pickup trucks and vans are permitted on controlled-access parkways under the following conditions:

They must have passenger car plates.
They must be used only for non-commercial purposes.
They must have an empty (unladen) weight of 5,500 pounds or less.
They must be less than 7 feet, 10 inches in height.

All other trucks that do not meet the conditions above are not permitted on controlled-access parkways. This restriction includes moving vans, trucks, and trailers.

All vehicles (including passenger cars) with trailers or cargo carried on the roof are not permitted on parkways in New York State.

Vehicles with "combination" plates from other states are not permitted on parkways in New York State.

www.nycroads.com/pkwy_hudson
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate