Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question about freshwater tank use
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question about freshwater tank use

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you first use it do a sanitization run Instructions all over the place so I won't type 'em out here.

For rather complex reasons I started filling the on board in my RV and then using it. Often I'd disconnect from the park.... Originally it had to do with over chlorination by the city. But then I found that I only used about 1 tank every 4 weeks and I changed parks every 1-2 weeks so I only hooked up half as often (NICE)

Also if I had to do an "overnight" in a parking lot or "Dry" site.. no problem.

And when the weather hit 11 degrees and the park froze and I mean FROZE!!!Q

No problem.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

If "camping" involves parking one's rig on asphalt with full services (including wifi), then "why should I use the fresh water tank" is a valid question...

these days were mostly FHU RV park RVers. We usually will shut off the water connection at the post when we leave the rig to avoid potential flooding issues. but a lot of the time I'll fill the fresh tank and we'll live off that rather than the city water connection. easier to turn the pump on/off inside than outside.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

All I can say is: If you don't put water in the Fresh Water Tank, you won't be camping at some of the Beautiful State Park CGs that we visit, as may State Parks in numerous Cities don't have Full Hook-ups.

That sort of my point. But if your happy with what your doing and FHU is what you seek. There is nothing wrong with that.
The main reason to use your tank is that all parks do not have running water at the site.
There are lots of fantastic sites with no running water.

early in our RV adventures we ran across one park with a tainted water connection (e-coli). that taught us to always travel with a full or nearly full fresh water tank cuz ya just never know.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many times we stopped where there was no water. And on the road we stopped to use the facilities, plus the ice maker is running.
Some campgrounds the water pressure is low, so we use out of the tank and refill later. if we just over nighting, or in bad weather we may not connect the water or power, use the batteries and or the generator and onboard water. Towed broke down in Ark on I40, parked at welcome center and used on board water and generator for ac it was hot.
Many campgrounds as stated before have bad water sediment, sulfur iron etc. Clogged many filters, so may not connect up at all.
Michigan campgrounds use well water and lots of sediment/mud when a lot of campers or not. The really good filter clog up first that is their job so we may not connect up.
our tank was kept pristine and we drank from the tank and cooked with it and showered with it and washed clothes from the tank water.
The 800 lbs or so of 100 gallons of water will help to smooth the ride too. Always kept the tank full when we could ,except trip to storage, or if headed o=t in a week or too again left the tank full plus drinking water chlorine.
So we kept water i the tank for whatever we encountered or decided not to use campground water or when there was no water. Our well filtered water was usually far superior to the tap.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP said they don't use their FW tank and asked if should they sanitize it. Turned into 3 pages of opinions on why they should use their FW tank.

To the OP, no. If you've never used it, no need to sanitize it. If you do eventually use it, most public water sources contain enough chlorine or chloramine to take care of anything that would be harmful.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want no part of a fresh water system to be a potential source of disease, so my suggestion is to sanitize whether you use it or not. Also, after seeing and reading how other campers handle their equipment, you might want to rethink going to campground potluck dinners.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

OP said they don't use their FW tank and asked if should they sanitize it. Turned into 3 pages of opinions on why they should use their FW tank.

To the OP, no. If you've never used it, no need to sanitize it. If you do eventually use it, most public water sources contain enough chlorine or chloramine to take care of anything that would be harmful.

Great advice!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I want no part of a fresh water system to be a potential source of disease, so my suggestion is to sanitize whether you use it or not. Also, after seeing and reading how other campers handle their equipment, you might want to rethink going to campground potluck dinners.

Have you ever eaten fast food, or at any chain restaurant? You really don't want to know how they handle their equipment.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an interesting discussion. I'm always surprised when I see people talk about not using systems in their RV. "We never use the shower or toilet and just use the bath house" or now "We never plan to use our fresh tank". It's an interesting illustration of the different opinions & habits out there.

We mostly boondock, so the idea of not using the fresh water, shower, or toilet doesn't compute with me. Plus we end up using the toilet at just about every fuel/lunch stop.

So my thought when I saw "Question about freshwater tank use", my initial reaction was: "Use it."

Ironically, the only time I (or anyone I know) has ever gotten sick from their fresh water was when I was a kid and we were heading down to Baja in our TC. My dad had sanitized the tank with bleach, but he must not have flushed the lines or hadn't drained the tank as well as he thought. I was the first one to drink from the tank and got a Dixie cup of diluted bleach. We had to pull over after I barfed it up. It could have been a lot worse.

Call me unsanitary, but all we've ever done is fill and drain our tanks. I've never sanitized the fresh tanks in any of our RVs. We're lucky to be four-season campers though, and we've never winterized.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

This is an interesting discussion. I'm always surprised when I see people talk about not using systems in their RV...
Call me unsanitary, but all we've ever done is fill and drain our tanks. I've never sanitized the fresh tanks in any of our RVs. We're lucky to be four-season campers though, and we've never winterized.

same here although I did do the sanitize-with-bleach and rinse-with-baking-soda routine for a few years. we're still here 35-seasons later! hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question about freshwater tank use
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.