cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chains in BC

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We may have to travel from Calgary to Vancouver sometime around the end of October. I know there are chains laws at that time Our mh is a 42 ft. and we do not have snow tires nor are there any available in that size. Chains would be next to impossible to install. Would I be ticketed? We also are towing a truck with summer tires. What do people in BC do to comply with the law? Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
@Sidehill, 5 passes between you and Gangcouver? Sounds like heaven!

Oops… should have said 6, but 2 of them are like little bumps on the road… so let’s just say 4…. :S
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Sidehill, 5 passes between you and Gangcouver? Sounds like heaven!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:
So is it when you are goin uppa hill when you wish you remembered chains the most

or here we go down the other side?

Depends whether you make it to the top or not! Lol

True!

But I’ve had a couple or three moments after making the top barefoot wishing I had “put the jewelry on” once gravity got a hold on the situation.

A friend who drove Big Trucks for many years usta say he had never scared himself driving a truck up a hill.

One of my son in-laws owns and operates a logging truck. He says he can’t afford to not put his chains on. Time is money, and if he gets caught without his chains on when the “chain up” sign is on and he spins out …. There goes a couple days pay in fines.
I get to drive down the the Vancouver BC area mid to late November… I will only have 5 mountain passes to go over.
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Just watch "Highway thru Hell" on the Weather Channel for examples of how bad it can get fast.

I left Alaska on the last day of September in 2019. I was worried about the BC chain requirement. Fortunately, the weather was good so I don't think the RCMP were out looking for potential violators.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:
So is it when you are goin uppa hill when you wish you remembered chains the most

True!

But I’ve had a couple or three moments after making the top barefoot wishing I had “put the jewelry on” once gravity got a hold on the situation.

A friend who drove Big Trucks for many years usta say he had never scared himself driving a truck up a hill.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In my limited experience, it's mostly just after you were going up the hill, but didn't make it, and are now going back down backwards with even less control.

I feel safer when driving up a slippery hill than down a slippery hill.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
like.
Motor homes fall under the camper symbol on the sign.

that sign was a misprint that they originaly put up. most have been replace with the proper ones now. it should have a "Or" inbetween the mountian snowflake and the M&S.

I didn't see any snow on my way home from work this moring, unless your talking south of meritt in the snowshed?

Steve

I looked at every BC govt website that I could find, and they show that signs…. None of them show the sign I posted with the word “or” between the 2 symbols, however the other two signs for heavier commercial type vehicles does show the word “or”…. Go figure.
The web cams I saw this morning and this afternoon showed snow on the Coqu on a few cameras, and on Hwy 3 Paulson and Hwy 3-B. Most of it has melted now… and temps dropped so black ice is most likely Lerking.
However, 40kms away from Paulson Summit is the Kootenay pass which is the highest mountain pass open year round in Canada…. It didn’t have any snow at all….
Again….. go figure.
So…. Tomorrow it’s time to service the snowmobiles….. yippy…

Soup

Ill see if I can get a pic. maybe Im just geting old and senile haha. I did see one like you posed out east, but Im sure the ones around me have the "or" as people were trying to find snoflake with the M&S on it and well you'll be looking for a long time haha.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Mich upnorth wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
Just got an alert…
There is a VERY good chance that it will snow again this weekend “on” the mountain passes of southern BC.
I should note:
The weatherman ( person) is the only person in the world that can lie in the job everyday…… and still keep their job…
By the way…. I repacked the bearings on the Snowmobile trailer today!
Let it snow…let it snow…let it snow !

Soup.

Or politican:B

Ohhhhh we don’t want to go there, let’s just stick to the weather person so we don’t get booted…
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Soup.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
Just got an alert…
There is a VERY good chance that it will snow again this weekend “on” the mountain passes of southern BC.
I should note:
The weatherman ( person) is the only person in the world that can lie in the job everyday…… and still keep their job…

Soup.

Or politican:B
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Just got an alert…
I should note:

Soup.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
295/80×22.5 would be hard to find. I would not leave them on as they are noisy. Expensive changeover. Could probably put the mh on a Landoll to get through the mountains for less $$.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:

So…. Tomorrow it’s time to service the snowmobiles….. yippy…

Soup

Winter can't come soon enough!! Braaaaaaapp!
For the first time in many years I didn't grease the chassis' at spring layup, so that's aboot the extent of the service work I need to do. And put the engine blanket back on the snobike in anticipation of powder up to yer ballz!!