cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad for Gaia maps?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking of switching to a Gaia maps on an iPad for primary use in the RV. I am tired of the clumsy nav system that came from the factory. I'll also use it for ATVing and Jeeping.

iPhone is not an option since maps app only works where there is a signal. I know that an iPhone can run Gaia maps but the screen is too small.

I've done some research already. I know the iPad has to be cellular enabled with the internal GPS to use where there is no cell signal. Don't want to spend big bucks on an iPad just for Gaia maps. Also don't want a huge screen since I'll use it in the UTV.

An older/refurb iPad is ok since it will only be used for Gaia maps. Suggestions?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
4 REPLIES 4

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently bought a Garmin GPS receiver and used it with my iPad. Works great.
My iPad is not cellular capable and does not have the internal GPS receiver. That’s why I went with the external receiver.

And now I can actually see the map while driving. Finding a mounting location was the biggest challenge.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Thinking of switching to a Gaia maps on an iPad for primary use in the RV. I am tired of the clumsy nav system that came from the factory. I'll also use it for ATVing and Jeeping.

iPhone is not an option since maps app only works where there is a signal. I know that an iPhone can run Gaia maps but the screen is too small.

I've done some research already. I know the iPad has to be cellular enabled with the internal GPS to use where there is no cell signal. Don't want to spend big bucks on an iPad just for Gaia maps. Also don't want a huge screen since I'll use it in the UTV.

An older/refurb iPad is ok since it will only be used for Gaia maps. Suggestions?

It works the same whether its iPhone or iPad.
You can download "sections" for offline use, just like most other options. And to be honest, it works better in offline mode than online when signal gets iffy.
I only use Gaia for off road adventures. I find google or apple are better for me for on road directions.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You can use Google Maps in offline mode too right...

Just create your routes, and tell it to download offline maps. Then you can use it without a connection.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While i occasionally pump my iPhone map apps through the Chevy dashboard screen, most of the time I use my iPad mini. Works well and I can still see the trailer stats on the Chevy screen.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad